Lloyd D Payne
Posted By: County Coordinator (email)
Date: 6/1/2010 at 18:40:10
Lloyd D Payne a retired farmer, living at No 924 First street, Boone was born in Boonesboro, this county November 30, 1856, his parents being James J and Mary Martha (Devore) Payne, further mention of whom is made in the sketch of S B Payne. The mother was born in Richland county, Ohio, a daughter of James P and Mary (Tomlinson) Devore. Both the Devore and Tomlinson families came originally from that section of the country comprising the states of Maryland, Virginia, and Delaware. Both are well known and their representatives are now found throughout the middle west. The Paynes were planters in Virginia and the great great grandfather of our subject was from Ireland. The grandfather on the paternal side was Benjamin Coleman Payne, a native of Dumfries, Virginia, and a soldier of the War of 1812. He became a resident of Cumberland, Maryland, where James P Payne, father of our subject was born. Benjamin C Payne later removed to Clay county, Indiana, where he settled on a farm heavily timbered with black walnut, which it was necessary to clear before beginning agricultural operations. After his removal to Boone he engaged in mercantile pursuits for a time but was eventually compelled to close out his business. He also kept a tavern in Boone, which was as stopping place for travelers in that early day. The structure was in the keeping with time, being built of logs and it stood just west of the preset courthouse James R Payne, father of our subject, came to Boone in 1854 with an ox team and owed the grass form the preset site of the courthouse.
Lloyd D Payne grew to manhood in Worth township, his father becoming the owner of a farm on section 12, in 1856. Our subject attended the school of that township in the acquirement of his education, but there were then no organized districts and the neighbors simply banded together and built a schoolhouse, which as located on a piece of swamp land in what is now Colfax township, then belonging to the Untied States government. Among his early teaches were James Boggs, Mr Houston, Mary E Bush the wife of E E Chandler, and Wesley Tout. During the winter of 1872-73 Mr Payne attended the Excelsior school in Colfax township and later went to the Grayson school, which was located in Worth township and which was taught by Frank Wiley. The first school he attended was named by his father, he called it Fairview, because of the fine view of it to be obtained from the home farm. Our subject left school at the age of twenty, but remained at home until twenty-one, aiding with the work of the homestead. He then went to farming for his father by the month, receiving thirteen dollars, together with board and laundry. He worked thus for nine moths and still has sixty dollars which he saved form his earnings. He then began farming independently on 80 acres located on section 28, Jackson township, and kept bachelor’s hall for a time, but was later married. He continued to reside upon his farm for a little more than eighteen years, during which item he made it one of the best improved places of the locality. On his retirement he removed to Boone, his energy and up to date methods of farming, together with is faculty for saving, having secured him a competence.
On August 27, 1894, Mr Payne was united in marriage to Mrs Frances F (Clarke) Holbrook, who was born in Connecticut and when a young woman of eighteen removed with her parents to Cedar county, Iowa thence to Boonesboro, where he father followed his trade as house mover and where he passed away. Mrs Payne is now a member of the First Presbyterian church, which her husband also attends, but for a number of years she was a member of the Congregational church.
Mr Payne is a republican in politics, giving his unfailing support to that organization. .He relates many interesting incidents of his boyhood when conditions sin this county were largely those of the pioneer section. He contributed much to the auricular development of the county and is well entitled to the life of ease which his now his.
Mr Payne often speaks of the schools and teachers of his boyhood days at the old Fairview schoolhouse in Colfax township and of the old parental home I that vicinity. Mr and Mrs Payne are the possessors of considerable property and money. Their real estate consists of a good 80 acres farm five miles eat of Boone and a 6,000 dollar residence in the city of Boone just across the street west of the Eleanor Moore Hospital. As Mr and Mrs Payne have no children they have mad e deed of this property to the Eleanor Hospital Association, by which it is to become the property of the same at the death of the grantees. The deed provides that we the hospital association shall take possession of the property it shall use the premises ad the building on the same for a nurse house of the sick and afflicted and that it shall be called “The Payne Nurse House.”
1914 Boone County History Book
Boone Biographies maintained by Jan Bony.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen