Frank A Snyder
Posted By: County Coordinator (email)
Date: 5/10/2010 at 10:40:59
Frank A Snyder, a progressive and representative agriculturist of Boone county, residing on section 27, Grant township, is the owner of 120 acres of rich and productive land. His birth occurred in Chicago, Illinois, on September 8, 1857, his parents being Andres and Magdelina (Hagge) Snyder, the former a native of France and the latter of Pennsylvania. Andrew Snyder was brought to the United States by his parents when but three years of age, the family home being established near Buffalo, New York, and subsequently near Chicago, Illinois. He learned the blacksmith’s trade in the western metropolis and for a number of years was three engaged as a blacksmith and expert horseshoer. Later he removed to North Northfield, Illinois and afterward took up his abode in Deerfield, that state. For a period of ten years he followed farming near Des Plaines, Illinois. His demise occurred in 1909, but his widow still survives at the age of eighty years, making her home in Deerfield, Illinois.
Frank A Snyder was reared and educated in the state of his nativity and after putting aside his text books worked as a farm hand in Illinois for some time. In the spring of 1890 he came to Boone county, Iowa and began the cultivation of rented land. Two years later, however, he purchased 120 acres on section 27, Grant township and undertook the improvement of the property which he has operated continuously and successfully to the present time. H is wife raises thoroughbred White Leghorn Rose Comb chickens and ships eggs to Minnesota, Dakota, Missouri Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois. She also raises White Holland Turkeys, Pekin ducks and Emden geese and all of her poultry is white. Mr Snyder, in connection with the cultivation of cereals, raises shorthorn cattle and Chester White hogs. He is a stockholder n the Farmers Elevator Company of Boxholm and The Mutual Telephone Company and has long enjoyed reputation as one of ht enterprising and progressive citizens of his community.
On December 18, 1889, Mr Snyder was united in marriage to Miss Annie Bleimehl, a daughter of Peter and Maria Bleimehl, natives of Germany, who emigrated to the United States n the 40’s and took up their abode in Chicago, Illinois. The father, who as a blacksmith by trade, later removed to Wheeling, Illinois, where he conducted a shop for six ears and then went to Deerfield, that state, there spending the remainder of his life. He passed away in 1879, while his wife, surviving him for three deceased, was called to her final rest in 1909. Unto Mr and Mrs Snyder have been born eight children, namely: Raymond, Laura, Harvey, Alda, Alvin, Elmer, Irving, who died in 1895, and Lucille, who demise occurred in 1912.
Mr Snyder gives his political allegiance to the republican party and serves as justice of Grant township, having discharged the duties of that office in a highly satisfactory and commendable manner for a period of ten years. He has likewise acted as secretary of the school board for a number of years, and the cause of education has been found in him a stalwart champion. His religious faith is that of the Evangelical Association , in the work of which he takes an active and a
helpful interests. Both Mr and Mrs Snyder are well and favorably known in Boone county and have circle of friends which is almost coextensive with the circle of their acquaintances.
1914 Boone County History Book
Boone Biographies maintained by Jan Bony.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen