Posted By: County Coordinator
Date: 3/10/2009 at 12:51:52
John Anderson, Boone county is situated in the center of a rich agricultural district. The fine farms of Iowa are noted throughout the entire land, and of one of these John Anderson is the owner, having 275 acres which is well improved and highly cultivated. His home is only two mils from Madrid and thus he is enabled to enjoy the conveniences and comforts of city life as well as the pleasures which can only be obtained upon a farm. In the fall of 1846 he arrived in Boone county and throughout the intervening years he has been interested in its development and progress, while his labors have been of a character that have advanced its substantial improvement.
As his mane indicates he is of Swedish birth and first opened his eyes tot the light of day in the country of Sweden June 23, 1832. His father , Magnas Anderson, was also a native of Sweden, where he was reared, married and followed farming for some years. Six children were born unto him in that country, and in 1846 he emigrated with his family to the new world, landing at New York he thence made his way across the country to Iowa and established his permanent home in Boone county, although he first located in Polk county, coming to this county in 1847 at which time he took up his abode in Douglas township. Here he had entered some land and his attention was now given to the development and improvement of his farm, but he was not long permitted to enjoy his new home, for he died the same year.
John Anderson was a lad of fourteen years when he came to the United States. He had acquired a fair education in the schools of his native land, but is entirely self educated in the English language, having acquired a knowledge of that language since attaining his majority. When still a young lad he started out in life on his own account, being employed as a farm hand. He was inured to hardships and privations from early youth, owing to his fatherís death, but he then developed self reliance and force of character that have proved important elements in his later success. When he had acquired a sufficient capital he purchased 80 acres of land which was the nucleus of his present farm. It was well watered and upon it he built a long house in which he lived during the time when he was opening up his farm. He turned the first furrows of the virgin soil, fenced his property and in course of time garnered rich harvests from the fields which he had cultivated. From time to time has his financial resources increased he purchased other land until he is today the owner of 275 acres. He has built a large residence upon the place, also substantial outbuildings and the entire tract is under cultivation. Everything about the place is kept in good repair, and the air of neatness and thrift which pervades the place indicates the practical and progressive spirit of the owner. An orchard yields its fruits in season and shade trees adorn the lawn and protect eh home from the hot rays of the summer sun. The farm in now a valuable one and the owner deserves great credit for what he has accomplished. There are two sets of farm buildings there and all of the improvements upon the place are visible evidences of the life of industry which Mr Anderson has led. His efforts too, have been extended to other lines. He was one of the organizers of the Madrid State Bank. He was elected its first president and has acted continuously in that position from the organization of the bank in 1895. It has become one of the strong banking institution of the county and is a valued and enterprising concern in the business activity of this section of the state.
Mr Anderson was married in Boone county in 1857 to Miss Caroline Nelson, who was born and reared in Sweden. She died in 1870, leaving three children, the eldest being John P, who is now a resident of Minnesota. Alma is the wife of E P Dalander, a prominent businessman of Madrid. C A Silford is the editor and proprietor of the Madrid Register News. Mr Anderson was again married in 1877, his second union being with Olive Anderson, who spent her girlhood days in Sweden, he native land. Eight children have been born of this union: Selma, wife of Mines Olson, a farmer of Douglas township, Dora Teresa, Alven, Arthur, Harold, Roy and Ester, all at home.
In his political affiliations Mr Anderson is a stanch Republican, having been allied to that party since casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1860. For six years he served as county supervisor, has filled the office of assessor for more than twenty years and has been secretary of the Swedish Mutual Insurance Company for sixteen years being one of its prominent promoters and organizers. The cause of education has ever found in him a warm friend. He believes in having good schools and capable teachers and has long served as a member of the school board and as its treasurer. He has been a delegate to various state and county conventions of the Republican party and in all public office has been loyal and true to the trust reposed in him,. H and his wife a re members of the Swedish Lutheran church of Madrid and contributed liberally to the erection of the present house of worship. Few men can antedate his residence in Boone county, where he has passed fifty-six years. He has been an eye witness of its wonderful growth and development and has also contributed to its progress along many lines. The sterling characteristics of his race are manifest in his career and America has no more valued citizens that Sweden has furnished to this land.
1902 Boone County History Book
Boone Biographies maintained by Jan Bony.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen