[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BANTON, Benson, Dr. 1828-1894


Posted By: S. Bell
Date: 2/8/2013 at 21:05:21

[Waterloo Daily Courier, Thursday, August 2, 1894]

Yesterday afternoon the funeral of Dr. B. Banton was held at the Presbyterian Church. Long before the hour arrived for the services to begin, the church was filled with sympathizing friends who had come to pay their last token of respect to one who had been so well known to them. The body was borne down the aisle by the pall bearers, followed by the immediate friends and the members of A. 0. U. W., Waterloo Lodge, No. 20, of which organization Dr. Banton was a member.

There were beautiful flowers in profusion, sent by friends, placed near the coffin, while, on it were bouquets of roses. It was the desire of the relatives to have the representatives of the various churches take part in the funeral services, Rev. J. 0. Stevenson, of the Congregational church, preaching a short discourse. Kev. C. H. Purmort, of the Presbyterian church, read the 90 Psalm, followed by Rev. W. F. Pitner, of Grace M. E. church, who read a portion of the new scripture. Rev. G. F. Holt, of the 1st Baptist church, offered prayer and Rev. DeWitt Clinton, of the 1st M. E. church, read a biographical sketch of the deceased. Rev. J. 0. Stevenson chose for his text "Luke, the beloved physician." The perfect state of man was referred to when there was no need of physicians, and then the necessity which arose for their healing ministrations.

The profession of the doctor was highly extolled by the speaker and the work of a minister and that of a doctor were pronounced to be equal in many points. The personal qualities of Dr. Banton were spoken of in the highest terms. He was kind, attentive and gentle in times of sickness and sorrow. He was a Christian and his knowledge of religious affairs was beyond the ordinary. He gave generously of his means. Many times the speaker said he had discussed questions of religious import with the doctor and now he knows all about the things they talked over. The sermon throughout was impressive.

On the features of Dr. Banton there rested a quiet look as if he had only gone to sleep. When one is taken away so suddenly, with no warning to family or friends, it is harder to realize that never more will the familiar figure be seen in the accustomed places, than if the loved one had been taken after a prolonged sickness. But yet—
"Nor kings or nations
One moment can retard the appointed hour."

In the letter received by Herman Banton from his uncle in Bangor, Maine, he says that on Thursday morning, July 26, Dr. Banton complained some of a pain in his throat and chest but took some medicine and felt relieved. He ate some supper and then sat in the yard awhile talking to the family, and about 10 o'clock in the evening he went to bed. This was the last the family saw him alive. The Doctor appeared as well as usual and said the pain would disappear, as it was neuralgic in its nature and he had been taking medicine during the day.

The next morning Mr. Banton, the brother, got up at six o'clock and went down town to do some errands. Coming back at seven o'clock, he went to the Doctor's room to call him. Upon rapping at the door and receiving no answer, he went away but subsequently returned and opened the door and looked in. Mr. Banton wrote that he was stricken with an awful fear as he gazed at the doctor lying there so motionless, and he could see no indication of life. He felt the hand that was partially uncovered and found it nearly cold, when he felt for the heart there was no motion to be distinguished. One foot was hanging out the bed as if the Dr. had perhaps made an effort to get up, but there was no indication of any struggle. The bed clothes were not disarranged and it hardly seemed possible that life could be extinct. A doctor was summoned but he pronounced life gone, and the probable cause of death was heart disease. There had been no previous symptoms that the family and friends had ever noticed of this trouble about the Dr., and his health had been as good as usual, although grief had undermined his health to some extent.

The prospect of a visit with his friends among the hills of his birth place, Knox, Waldo county, Maine, was pleasantly anticipated by the Dr., and little did his friends think when he left Waterloo five weeks ago that he would never return alive.

Among the doctors present at the funeral were Drs. J. G. Gilchrist, Iowa City; Cogswell, Walker, Forrest, Hubbard, Cedar Rapids; Eaton, Des Moines; Parsons, Traer; Becker, Clermont; Triem, Manchester; Burns, Grundy Center; Vroom, Ackley; Sage, Hudson.

The relatives present outside of Waterloo were G. R. Banton, of Bangor, Maine, a nephew of Dr. Banton; two brothers, G. R. and Alfred, of Farley, Iowa, and Mrs: Alfred Banton.

The Homeopathic society of Des Moines sent a wreath of flowers; the Medical society of Waterloo, a pillow; a large floral crescent on a standard from the nephews and nieces of Dr. Banton; a lyre from Mrs. Hillman, Mr. Hlingworth and Mrs. Vroom; basket from Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Hunt and sister; also one from.Mrs. Betts; bunch of flowers, Mrs. L. S. Parsons; also other, flowers from Mrs. J. D. Sweitzer and Mrs. Horr; a wreath of flowers from Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Ivingsbury.

Before the body left Bangor, Maine, short services were held at the home of William Banton. The last resting place is in Fairview Cemetery, and to this place a long procession followed all that was mortal of Dr. B. Banton, the loved physician and friend.

Dr. Benson Banton was born in Knox, Maine, Jan. 20, 1828. He came to Iowa in 1864 and studied medicine at Dyersville, Dubuque County. He afterwards attended Rush Medical College, Chicago, graduating from there Feb. 15,1876. He also took a course in physical diagnosis in Cook Co. hospital.

After coming to Waterloo be took a prominent position among the physicians of his school of medicine and June 9, 1878, he became a member of the Cedar Valley Hahnemann Medical Association. He was president of the Habnemann Medical Association of Iowa for one term, about six years ago. He served very acceptably upon several of the most important committees of that Association. At the time of his death he was a member of the University Committee of the Association and was for some fifteen years one of the permanent examiners of the homeopathic medical department of the University. He was also for a time member of the committee on legislation of the Hahnemann Association of Iowa. In addition to being a graduate of Rush Medical College, he attended the Chicago Homeopathic Medical College.


Black Hawk Obituaries maintained by Kermit Kittleson.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]