Black Hawk County History
Businesses of the past
The F.C. Fish Sign Service started in the basement at 519 Lafayette Street, adjacent to the Security Savings Bank. Most of the billboard in the Waterloo area sported the fish logo.
Frank and Betty Fish were in the business for many years until they moved to California. Frank Jr., worked in partnership with his father. The Fish's resided at 419 Lane Street while Frank Jr. and his wife Ruth lived at 927 Reber Avenue. This photo was taken in 1914.
Photo Courtesy of Kay Benston
Powers Manufacturing Company
The picture to the right shows a Powers Mfg. Company workroom in the days when the firms chief product was horse collars. The machines in the photo are riveting machines used to rivet metal parts such as buckles to fabric.
They were paid $.16 an hour and probably worked a 60 hour week. Powers went on to design the mark of the "sports official", the black and white pinstripe uniform. Then moved on to designing and manufacturing sports uniforms. The business is still going today.
Photo courtesy of Helen and Jean Klinefelter