Black Hawk County History
Waterloo Fire Stations in 1910
The year is 1910 and Waterloo now has two fire stations. One on the east side on Fifth Street.
The horse drawn fire engines were kept at the east side station, as well as an extension ladder long enough to reach the top story of most buildings in Waterloo. The east side fire chief had his own automobile.
The other station was on the west side of town, on Commercial between Fifth and Sixth. The west side station had two fire engines and a crew of nine. Fire alarm boxes were located throughout the city allowing citizens to alert the department to fire danger.
See Black Hawk County Atlas, 1910.