by Margaret Corwin & Helen Hoy
Courtesy of Leonard Katoski
Newspapers from around the world carried stories of the use of a single granite boulder used to build the First Presbyterian Church in 1890 at East Park Avenue and Mulberry. The boulder, a leftover from a prehistoric glacier, was found on the Henry Grout farm north of Waterloo. This was the third church owned by the First Presbyterian Congregation.
According to the Courier, the 20 x 28 x 32-foot boulder weighed 5,000,000 pounds.
Courtesy of First Lutheran Church
The first Lutheran Church was formerly known as the German Evangelical Lutheran Church with a nucleus of worshipers of German descent. The lot was purchased for $25 at 427 1/2 Jefferson, the Reverend Westernberger was the first pastor.