Early Maps Of Waterloo
Photo from Crossroads at the Cedar This image was reversed to show the details a bit more. In the book it
is shown in black with white details. This is the original survey plat of
Waterloo Township showing streams, timber and trails and officially filed
This image was reversed to show the details a bit more. In the book it is shown in black with white details. This is the original survey plat of Waterloo Township showing streams, timber and trails and officially filed in 1846.
This early Waterloo map prepared by John Hartman, shows the locations of two old Suk and Fox villages. Excavations reveal an Upper Village (present Cattle Congress grounds and McElroy Auditorium) and a smaller, Lower Village at the John Deere Component Works. The x's and +'s on the map, scattered over a three mile radius, indicate existing and obliterated Indian burial mounds. East Waterloo's first settler, James Virden, in 1849, was witness to a mound building after an Indian battle. The warrior was placed in a sitting position on the ground, a blanket around him, his gun crossing his knees. Around the body, his cohorts buildt a small palisade of hickory slabe, to keep wild animals at bay, and finally, dirt was thrown over top until a large mound was raised.
Map courtesy of Helen Hoy
The original plat of Waterloo showing claims on both sides of
the river was filed on June 24, 1854 and extended from Eleventh to Mullan
Street and Franklin to South Street, representing approximately 1 1 2/2
The following year, Judge Pratt, James Virden's father-in-law
and principal owner of east side properties, died, and the sale of his 119
lots totalled $115,000.00 causing a real estate and
building boom in the town.