AUDUBON COUNTY, IOWA
There was not a railroad in Iowa when Audubon county was first settled. In 1865 the Rock Island railroad reached the town of Kellogg, and the Northwestern railroad reached the town of Boone the same year. In 1866 the Northwestern reached Council Bluffs, and one railroad got through to Des Moines the same year. At that period the people of Audubon county first began to realize that they were in touch with railroad facilities. The first pine lumber for building purposes was brought to Audubon county in 1866 for erection of the school house near Bradley Beers (Old Hamlin). In December, 1868, the Rock Island railroad was continued from Des Moines to Council Bluffs. In December, 1878, the branch railroad came from Atlantic to Brayton, Exira and Audubon. In 1882 the Northwestern railroad came from Carroll, by way of Manning, to Gray and Audubon. The Atlantic Northern railroad was built from Atlantic to Elk Horn and Kimballton in 1907.
Transcribed by Nancy Hamlin Offield, June, 2011, from History of Audubon Co., Iowa (1915), by H. F. Andrews, page 162.