page updated Sept 13, 2010
New Albin, Iowa twp.
New Albin Occupations
During the early days of New Albin, occupations included fishing, raising tobacco and wheat, hunting and trapping. This group of pictures depict this life.
Front: Commercial Fishermen, George & Frank May
Hunter, Charles Kester with rabbits
Pondo Ronald May with a 70 lb. fish
Sleigh full of tobbaco
George May with 40 lb. fish
New Albin Business Establishments
Click on the images to enlarge them.
Brenner's Livery, ca1906
Henry & Minnie Brenner are in the buggy
Blacksmith Shop - owner unknown
August Pottratz in his blacksmith shop
New Albin, Iowa, circa late 1920s-early 1930s
Dierkson's Tavern, undated
L-R: Herman Dierkson, Charles Tippery
and Roger Reburn
Hartley's Ford Garage, ca1920
Matt Conner buying his first car
Robinson Hardware store
L-R: Nettie (Niclai) Robinson & Frank "Cobb" Robinson
Meyer family Meat Market
The New Albin House hotel
In 1873, John and Sophia Pohlman were the proprietors of the Railroad House, the newest and largest hotel in town. It was later sold to John and Minnie Pohlman, then to Ole Isaksen in 1910. Other owners included Reinhart Jordan and son Ervin "Whip" Jordan, Harry and Mary Mason in 1955, Raymond "Tat" Sires and Herbert Zarwell in 1961, Myron and Charlotte Krambeer in 1969, Herb and Ella Schwenker in 1975, and finally to the present owners, (2006) Larry and Robin Harmon. It is now known as the High Chaparral Tavern. When the hotel was owned by Mr. and Mrs. John Pohlman, it was named the Jefferson Hotel.
Botsford's Store, ca1910
L-R: Mrs. William Botsford, Harris Botsford
and William Botsford
August Pottratz's blacksmith shop, ca1926
L-R: August Pottratz (owner) and his son Milton Pottratz with
Herbert Welper - circa abt. 1926
Erickson & Tartt store
Weymiller Service Station
Built by Reinhart Jordan, Emil Weymiller started the station in 1928. The station is currently (2006) is owned by Gerald "Jug" Darling.
Wuennecke's Grocery store
Travis & Kumph store
L-R: Annabel Fitchen, Charles Kumph and C. Travis
Children & Town Hall. May 30, 1910
New Albin News
For many years, New Albin had its own newspaper. In April of 1873, the first newspaper was called the New Albin Gazette. The editor was Dr. Taylor. Then, in May of 1873, Bruce Reed edited it and it was the New Albin Herold. In July of 1877, it was the New Albin Spectator, followed by the New Albin Courier, and in September of 1898, The New Albin Globe, edited by G.W. Metcalf & Son. The New Albin News was the last paper to be published here, in the early 1900's. The editor was Ludwig Schulbert. The news was then sent to the Lansing Mirror.
-contributed by Errin Wilker
The First 100 Years of New Albin. Unless noted in the description, the people were unidentified & the photos undated.
The August Pottratz blacksmith shop & Brenner's Livery photos are from Errin's personal photo collection
Return to 'other history' index