Allamakee. South of the mouth of Paint
Creek, section 10, Fairview Township. Platted as a
town in 1858, but soon abandoned. Post office,
Alton. In section 1, French Creek
Township, near where French Creek flows into the
Upper Iowa River. Village platted in 1858, only a few
lots sold, and no town built.
Buckland. In southern part of
section 16, Linton Township. Town laid out in 1858.
Plat vacated in 1881. Post office, 1878-92.
Bunker Hill. In southern part of
section 24, Linton Township. In 1860, that section
was set over into Fairview Township. Post office,
1853-55, when the name was changed to Ion.
Capoli. Two miles southeast of
Lansing on the Mississippi. Post office, 1853-67.
Carvers. Shown in northwestern part
of Union City Township on maps of 1855-57.
Center Valley. In southern part of
Waterloo Township. Post office, 1857.
Chantry. In the northeastern part of
section 12, Lafayette Township. Platted in 1857. Was
an embryo town site on the Mississippi.
Clear Creek. In section 34, Union
City Township. Post office, 1857-79.
Cleveland. On east side of section
1, Post Township. Platted in 1856. Post office,
Columbus. At a landing on the
Mississippi at the mouth of Village Creek, two miles
below Lansing. Often called Capoli, which see above.
Columbus was the first county seat of Allamakee
County, from 1851 to its removal to Waukon in 1853.
Platted in 1852.
Connor. In southeastern part of
section 7, Union Prairie Township. Post office,
Dalby. In section 35, Center
Township. Post office, 1869-83.
Egan. In section 2, Linton Township.
Post office, 1900-1903.
Eldergrove. In section 8, Taylor
Township. Post office, 1897-03.
Fandon. In the north-central part of
Jefferson Township. Post office, 1863-65.
Forest Mills (formerly called
Werhan's Mill). In section 5, Franklin Township. Post
French Creek. In section 2, French
Creek Township. Post office, 1855-1903.
Grantville. In the eastern part of
Ludlow Township. Post office, 1860.
Hanover. In section 31, Hanover
Township. Post office, 1875-83.
Hardin. In the extreme southwest
corner of Franklin Township and partly in Clayton
County, on the military road from McGregor to Fort
Atkinson. A town of importance. Began to be settled
in 1848 and was platted in 1854. Post office,
Howard Center. In section 18,
Lafayette Township. Platted in 1854, adjoining Milton
on the north.
Johnsonsport. At the point of an
important landing on the Mississippi. A town was laid
out on the river front of the north half of Section
15, Fairview Township, in 1856.
Lark. In Taylor Township. Post
Lafayette. In the northern part of
section 2, Lafayette Township, on the Mississippi
River about a mile above Chantry. It had a boat
landing, sawmill and stores.
Ludlow. In section ?, Ludlow
Township, Post office, 1869-75.
Lybrand. In section 15, Post
Township. The village was platted in 1851, and was
prosperous for a time. Post office, 1858-67.
Lyndale. In the northwestern part of
section 23, Center Township. Post office, 1900-1903.
Makee. In section 18, Makee
Township. Post office, 1858-67.
Manchester. Sometimes called
Manchester Mills. In section 6, Franklin Township.
The town was close to the Post Township line and to
its sister town of Cleveland. The two towns made a
milling center on the Yellow River. Platted in 1859.
Mariner's Hope. In the northern part
of Iowa Township. Post office, 1861-63.
Milton. In section 18, Lafayette
Township. Laid out in 1854. This was a milling center
on Village Creek, with Howard Center adjoining on the
north and the village of Village Creek adjoining on
Myron. In section 3, Post Township.
Village platted in 1873. Post office, 1869-93.
New Galena. In section 1, Hanover
Township, on the Upper Iowa River. Platted in 1857,
but never recorded. At that time thought to have rich
lead ore deposits. Post office, 1859-63.
Mezeka. In section 34, Fairview
Township. On the Mississippi just south of the mouth
of the Yellow River. Laid out in 1856. Post office,
North Capoli. On the Mississippi
about a mile northwest of Columbus and just south of
Lansing, and now within the corporate limits of that
town. Platted in 1858.
Paint Creek Valley. Post office,
1853. Name changed to Waterville.
Paint Rock. In the southern part of
Taylor Township. Post office, 1853-57.
Reed's Ridge. In section 26, Hanover
Township. Post office, 1873-75.
Smithfield. In the northeastern part
of section 24, Franklin Township, on the Yellow
River. Platted in 1854 and both sawmills and
gristmills flourished there for some years.
Stella. In section 26, Ludlow
Township. Post office, 1897.
Tom Corwin. The name of the post
office at Johnsonsport in 1851.
Union Prairie. In the northwestern
part of section 26, Union Prairie Township. Post
Village Creek. In section 18,
Lafayette Township (see Milton). Post office,
1859-1903. One store still remains.
Volney. In section 13, Franklin
Township, on Yellow River about a mile below
Smithfield. Was devoted to milling business. Laid out
in 1856. Post office, 1853-1903.
Voss. Listed in the U.S. Postal
Guide from 1889 to 1908 as a post office in Allamakee
County, but the same is not found on maps of that
Watson. In southwestern part of
Linton Township. Post office, 1875-81.
Webster. Listed in the U.S. Offical
Register of 1851 as a post office in Allamakee
County, but not found on maps of that period.
Wexford. In the southeast corner of
the east section 6, Taylor Township. Post office,
Widow Post. In section 29, Post
Township. Shown on maps of 1855-56.
Wilson's Ford. In the southwestern
part of Taylor Township. Post office, 1857-63
~source: "Annals of Iowa", A Historical
Quarterly, October 1930, Third Series, Vol. XVII, No.
6; published by the Historical Memorial & Art
Department of Iowa; Abandoned Towns of Iowa -
Allamakee County; pg. 438-440
~transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall from copy donated by