Lybrand & Myron
Lybrand was the first townsite platted within Allamakee county. The town was founded by Jacob Lybrand of West Union. It was located in the central part of Post township. The town was started in the spring of 1850 and was platted on May 3, 1851, from a survey made by S.P. HIcks, the county surveyor. It was located at the time on the main traveled road between McGregor's landing and Decorah and soon became a place of considerable importance.
Mr. Lybrand opened a store, and a post office was established here on May 12, 1852, with Hiram Jones as its first postmaster. During the later 1860's the post office was discontinued and the town passed into the farm home of one Elisha Harris who used the buildings for barns or sheds and he finished the hotel which became his house for a number of years.
The town of Myron dates its platted existence only from May 8, 1873, but its settlement, however, dates back much further. It has more right to be called a village than many of the other so-called mythical towns of this period. The town was located in the north central part of Post township on the Yellow river. It possessed a large and excellent four mill which Mr. R.T. Burnham had moved there from Hardin in 1865 because of the excellent opportunities for cheap water power available from the Yellow river.
The mill for many years provided the necessary incentive for the budding prosperity of a thriving village, and the town at one time had a general store, saloon, blacksmith shop, shoe shop and several dwellings. The town was platted into lots in 1866 and in 1868 the post office which had until that time been located at Lybrand, was transferred to Myron and its name changed to Myron.
The post office remained here until 1895 when it was closed down due to the introduction of rural mail service. By then the decline in the millling industry had taken its toll upon the life of the town and it soon faded away with the rest of these so-called towns. Today all that remains to remind us of tis once progressive town are a few of the old foundations. the towns one grasp of fame came through the marriage of one of the close relatives of the Folsoms to Grover Cleveland which was frequently mentioned in the local papers of that time.
-old newspaper clipping-
Return to 'other history' index