February 20, 1885 Zion was officially
formed with 48 charter members (today, Zion's
membership is 385). The name Zion was unanimously
adopted, and Zion Reformed Church came into being. In
1957, the name became Zion United Church of Christ
when the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the
Congregational Christian merged to form the United
Church of Christ.
The present church building was built in 1904 at a
cost of $16,659.36 (including the furnishings and the
bell). The rock for the foundation and most of the
labor was donated by members. January 15, 1905 the
church was dedicated.
Zion is graced by two large stained glass windows
located in the main sanctuary. The original cost of
each window was $400. In 1908, they were destroyed by
a hail storm. After temporary repairs, the
congregation voted to replace the windows in 1909.
The windows were ordered from Germany at the time
that World War I was beginning in Europe. The art
glass was all handmade by craftsmen in Germany. By
the time the art glass was ready to be shipped to
America, it was felt that the ship might be attacked,
so the craftsmen buried the glass in the earth until
the war was over to insure their safe delivery. Two
men traveled to Iowa and stayed with members of the
congregation while they installed the windows. Most
recently, the west window was restored in 2008 and
the north window's restoration was just completed in
August at a cost of $80,000.
In 1952, the entire basement was dug out and a
Fellowship Room was created with kitchen facilities.
The Fellowship Hall has undergone a complete
remodeling this summer in anticipation of the
anniversary celebration. In 1956, the present
parsonage, which is located next to the church, was
built. In 1966, an educational building with Sunday
School classrooms was added. In 2001, Zion became
completely handicap accessible when an elevator was
installed along with a drive-through canopy and
During this year, the Zion congregation has been
remembering its history with different events.
Sunday, September 19, the "sons and daughters of
the congregation" who have gone into the
ministry, both ordained and licensed, have been
invited to "come home" to Zion for a
special worship celebration to honor them. Throughout
Zion's 125 years, there have been 12 men and women
who have gone on to become pastors. The list
includes: Willard Sherman, (deceased), William
Huenemann (deceased), Ruben Henry Huenemann
(deceased), Gene Hermeier, Allen Hermeier, Susan
(Moline) Larson, Randy Bechtel, Lisa (Deal)
Schroeder, Sharon (Shari) Prestemon, Corey Larson,
Brian Brandsmeier, and Bonita (Duit) Wiley.
~Waukon Standard, 9/5/2010.
There is more history & a vintage photo of the
church on the Waukon Standard website February 2010,
to find search their archives.