IAGenWeb Project - Allamakee co. Church records


One Hundredth Anniversary
Rossville Presbyterian Church

1894 - 1994


Church History 1866-1994

Front cover of anniversary church bulletin

 

Church Bulletin from the September 25, 1994 Observance of the 100th Anniversary of the Rossville Presbyterian Church, Rossville, Iowa

Participants in the Observance:

Interim Pastor, James Walker
Organists: Vivian Huffman and Connie Ellis
Special Music: Ruby Herman, soloist
Letters from: Rev. Roger Hawthorne, Rev. Robert Lueck and Rev. Bill Sinning
Reading of the Church History: Darlene Leas
Acolytes: Jim Leas and David Leas

Special Thanks was given to Darlene Leas who spent many hours in preparing the history for the booklet and organizing the special occasion. After the services, a dinner prepared by the Rossville Church women, was held in the church basement.

Food Committee: Chairman Jean (Smith) Pufahl, Co-Chairman Darlene (Mrs. Elmer) Rush, and Women of the Presbyterian Women’s Society

Booklet contents:

Part 1.
History of the Rossville Presbyterian Church

Part 2.
Pastors Who Served Our Church

Part 3.
Student Assistants; Session Members, 1978, Officers

  Part 4.
Roll of Elders and Year of Election

Part 5.
Session Members,1993; Present Session, 1994, Elders

Part 6.
Name of Members, Date Received, September 9, 1866 - July 24, 1994

Full source & contributor credit is at the bottom of this page.

~*~*~

PART I:

HISTORY OF THE ROSSVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

Let us turn back the pages of our Church history for the last one hundred years. We must first think of the conditions that the ministers and congregation had in getting to and from the Church in all kinds of weather. This Church was organized on September 9, 1866, with eleven members. The first member was Andrew Henderson. The Church building at that time was an old brick school house, with Reverend J. Woodruff as the first minister and continued until 1870. Following Reverend Woodruff was Reverend John C. Hanna, 1870 - 1872. A year went by when the Church did not have a minister but Reverend James Frothingham arrived and preached from 1873 -1874. After he left, Reverend B. Hall came from the Waukon Presbyterian Church and preached every two weeks from 1874 - 1887. The first baptism was in 1876 for George Fultz, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Fultz. In 1882 there were three church buildings to be found in Rossville; the Baptist, the Presbyterian, and the Methodist Churches.

From 1887 to 1891 the Church was again without a minister but an arrangement was made with Reverend R.L. Nice of the Waukon Presbyterian Church to come and preach every two weeks from 1891 - 1892 as his predecessor Rev. Hall had done. In 1891 Rev. Van Nice had revival meetings and received 18 persons into the Church. This was the beginning of better days in our history. Reverend W. H. Ensign preached 1892 - 1893, supplying the pulpit from Volga City, Iowa in Clayton County. In 1893 C.W. Wilson, a student minister, preached from May thru September. It was during his ministry that the Church was incorporated. In the spring of 1894, again being without a minister, Captain O’Brien held revival meetings which were usually deemed a decided success.

In 1894 Reverend Z.F. Blakely became the pastor and received 27 persons into the Church membership. On May 21, 1894, a meeting was held and it was decided to build a new church. Members of the building committee were J.H. Leas, Chairman; L.B. Wiley, Secretary; Jeremiah Leas, Levi Deal, and John Kelly. They were to select the site, collect the money from the donations, and complete the building. The cost of the building was:

Foundation $ 144.50
Lumber, doors, & windows $1,074.92
Hardware $ 77.44
Carpenter Work $ 417.18
Chimney $ 31.72
Plastering $ 48.25
Painting, papering, & lamps $ 227.93
Chairs $ 389.19
_____________
Total $ 2,411.13

In 1895, the building was completed and dedicated on April 21, 1895. Sarah (Moore) Kelly passed away on April 19, 1895. The first service after the dedication of the new Presbyterian church at Rossville on Sunday was her funeral, by Rev. R.L. Van Nice, assisted by others. Reverend James C. Wilson became the pastor in April 1895 and continued until 1897. Reverend J.S. Phillips, in connection with the Frankville, Iowa Presbyterian Church, served both churches until 1898.

Reverend T. Reeves preached during the summer for three months in 1898. On October 10, 1898, The Frankville Presbyterian Church in Winneshiek County, Iowa and the Rossville Presbyterian Churches voted to yoke together. They would share one minister and he would live in Frankville. Reverend W.R. Baird was hired for $250.00 a year, and would preach every other Sunday. Rev. Baird stayed for six months and on November 26, 1899, a call was sent to Reverend A.J. Gregg to preach for one year but he stayed for three years. He continued the sharing of the two churches by preaching every other Sunday. The arrangement between the two churches lasted a short time. They would become yoked again in April 1936 and that arrangement would last until 1977.

Reverend Simpson became the pastor of our Church in 1902 and stayed for two years, leaving in 1904. For three years the Church was without a pastor until April 1907 when Reverend J.C.B. Peck became the minister. He stayed until September 20,1908. In September 1908, Reverend Albert Nickless, from Dawly, England was a candidate for our pulpit. He preached for two Sundays, then a congregational meeting was called. A vote was taken for Reverend Nickless. By unanimous vote he began his ministry, which continued for one year. He turned in his resignation on August 8, 1909, as he wanted to go to school. Reverend Leonard Duckett of England was called to finish out the rest of the year. September 1909, marked the beginning of Rev. L. Duckett’s ministry in America, beginning with the Rossville Presbyterian Church and lasted until September 1911. Students filled the pulpit from December 1911 to February 1913, at which time Rev. Albert Gertsch became the pastor. He would stay for one year.

On November 19, 1915, a session meeting was called to elect some new officers and extend a call for a pastor. Elders elected were: William Kelly, O.B. Kelly, H.C. Campbell. Trustees: Ray Robey, A.H. Gast, and Freedom Walters. Ray Robey was elected chairman of the meeting for one year. Mrs. H.C. Campbell for church treasurer and Alfred Peterson was hired as the janitor at $35.00 a year. Mrs. Freedom Walters was elected as Clerk of Session. A call was extended to Reverend W. O. Hillborn for pastor for one year. He accepted the call which began in November 1915 till December 1916.

At the April 11, 1916 session meeting, it was brought up to remodel the Church, either a basement or build an addition onto the Church. This was to be brought up at the Presbyterian meeting, but nothing was done. The Church was without a pastor from 1916 to 1919. Reverend R.L. Van Nice was hired on October 26, 1919, to preach for one year, and he continued his ministry until April 5, 1936, when he resigned on account of his health. Reverend Van Nice depended upon the railroad for transportation from Waukon every weekend. He would ride to Maud on the train and come into Rossville with who ever would be there with their team of horses. It was brought up about buying a new car for him. A vote was taken and passed, and now money had to be raised to pay for this new car. Ice cream socials with programs and oyster suppers were held to raise the money.

In 1924 money was raised to buy a new piano. The piano cost $209.00 and on November 30, 1924, the piano was dedicated.

Lamps were used to light the Church when it was built. In 1927 the Church wired for electricity. $50.00 was paid for a share and $50.00 was spent for the wiring. The Church was closed for the winter months from December 31, 1935 to April 1, 1936. In April 1936, Reverend G. Fred Butler of the Frankville Presbyterian Church came to Rossville to conduct a meeting about a pastor as Reverend Van Nice had resigned because of his health. It was decided to hire Reverend Butler. He would preach at 9:00 a.m. each Sunday morning. He gave his farewell sermon on February 12, 1939.

On June 11, 1939, Wilton Sinning, a senior in Dubuque Seminary School came to preach at Rossville to a fair crowd. He will preach at Frankville also. He was installed and ordained on October 15, 1939. The Rossville Church closed for the winter months as it was hard to get thru the roads in the winter time as roads were full of snow. Then the mud was too deep in the spring. Reverend Sinning was with us for five years. He preached his last sermon on January 25, 1944. He was called to serve as pastor of Presbyterian Church at Armstrong, Iowa. Reverend Sinning was married June 14, 1944 to Jean Brandt at the Frankville Church.

Reverend Robert Little Van Nice, our former pastor passed away on February 18, 1940, at the age of 89 years. His wife, Ida, passed away 15 days before him. Reverend Van Nice was the youngest of 12 children. He was called to the Presbyterian Church in Waukon in October 1889, intending to remain a brief time until a pastor could be secured. After four weeks a call was presented to him and he became pastor of the Waukon Church. He resigned thirty years later on October 19, 1919. He went to Rossville and preached for 16 years. Everyone who knew Reverend Van Nice spoke highly of him and enjoyed his presence at all the activities of the church. He officiated 1,103 weddings and conducted 871 funerals.

Reverend A.H. Grossheim, pastor at Waukon Presbyterian Church came to Rossville to preach at 9:00 a.m. Sunday morning services then had services at 11:00 a.m. at Waukon. Rev. Grossheim was with us four years from 1944-1948.

The Church was built with a north entrance and was seated circular with individual seats facing south. These were replaced in 1944 with the present pews. At this time, the interior of the Church was turned to the west.

The 50th anniversary of the Church was celebrated on September 10, 1944. Reverend Sinning, a former pastor from Armstrong, Iowa, was in charge of the morning, afternoon, and evening services. Approximately 200 people attended each of the three services.

In February 1946, the ladies said they would like the church remodeled with either a basement or an addition. A vote was taken to put a basement under the Church. Before this project could begin, money had to be raised. The ladies had more dinners and suppers. In the fall, a chicken supper was held. This got to be an annual event. The chicken was served family style. Each of the 20 members furnished 3 chickens fried, mashed potatoes to serve 10, salad, vegetables, pickles, tomatoes to slice, and 2 pies. Prices were: Adults- $.65, children - $.35 under 10 years old. The ladies cleared $100.28.

In November 1946, a Thanksgiving dinner was served. This time $110.00 was cleared. The expenses were $13.09. In 1948, the basement was done costing $3,149.68. Also the entrance was changed to the east side of the Church, with Kenneth Pufahl and the trustees, Lyal Mitchell, Ray Rush, and Reuben Frink giving their approval.

The first wedding of church members in 54 years was Neil and Darlene (Rush) Leas on May 21, 1947.

Oldest married couple in Church.
Emmett & Evelyn Palmer
January 9, 1929

 

 

First couple married in Church
Neil & Darlene Leas
May 21, 1947

 

 

Most recent couple married in Church
Gary & Kathy Kaeser
July 16, 1994


In November of 1948, William Niles began to serve Rossville and Frankville Presbyterian Churches as a student supply from Dubuque. He stayed until January 1951. Reverend A.H. Grossheim filled in as our moderator.

On January 23, 1949, the congregational meeting was held. Two elders, Arthur Leas and Emmett Palmer, were elected. They were installed on February 27, 1949. The other elders were: Harry Leas, Cullen Henderson, Ray Robey, and Gilbert Eadie.

Church services were held at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 20, 1949, with Pastor William Niles. A Potluck dinner was at noon in our new basement. At 2:00 p.m. Reverend A.H. Grossheim had the Dedication Service of the basement and new entrance. April of 1949 thirteen people joined our Church. At the July session meeting it was decided to remove the two west windows and the plaster. It was decided to sheetrock the walls and paint the walls. The summer of 1950 the sanctuary was decoratively painted by Martin Horn. He used three colors, ivory, green, and lavender. It looked very nice after he had finished it.

On November 6, 1949, Mrs. Freedom Walters resigned as Church secretary and treasurer, an office she had held for 39 years.

At the July 1951 meeting Lyal Mitchell thought something ought to be done with the big cottonwood tree north of the Church. A vote was taken to trim the tree or remove it. It was voted to cut it down as the roots may damage our new basement walls. Vivian Huffman was elected Clerk as Orville Bunting was moving to Burlington, Iowa.

April 1952 a call was extended to Reverend Thomas Nelson. His salary was to be $3,600.00 with our share being $1,440.00. Frankville would pay $2,160.00 with one month vacation. He resigned January 10, 1954. Reverend Alden Showalter was extended a call to become our pastor in 1955.

The Baptist Church in Rossville had closed several years ago. The trustees of the Baptist Church gave the Presbyterian Church $500.00 as they were closing out their account. The money was to be used for improvements of the Church.

Reverend Showalter resigned in 1957 as he had accepted a call to Jasper, Indiana beginning September 15, 1957. Reverend William Tjaden, of the Waukon Presbyterian Church became our moderator.

In 1958 the ladies wanted to paint the walls and floor of the basement. They also put up new curtains which looked really nice. The Church finances were real low so it was brought up to have a Ham Dinner on Memorial Day. The price of the Dinner was raised to $1.25 for adults. We had a crowd and cleared $131.40. A call was extended to a student, Robert Reynolds, for pastor. A position he served from 1958 to 1962. In 1960 stained glass windows were installed through memorial gifts. Candelabra for the altar was also purchased with memorial money.

In the 1960’s the Ladies Aid was renamed the United Presbyterian Women’s Organ-ization and every confirmed female member of the church became a member.The UPWO has about 4 major money making projects a year. The greatest emphasis has been on the fall bazaar and for the past years the ladies have embroidered and quilted quilts -- an old practice recently revived. One quilt is always given for the raffle at the Fall Bazaar.

Bill Inger, who lived next to the Church on the west side, passed away in 1961 and he left his property, including the well to the Church. Also in 1961, Leslie and Zelda Leas gave the Church a new electric organ to replace the piano. It was dedicated on April 2, 1961. In June of 1961, our organist, Vivian Huffman played the new organ for the wedding of Barbara Boardman and Robert Swanson.

Reverend Reynolds asked the Frankville and Rossville Session if the Churches would be in favor of him teaching music in the Waterville School. The congregation of both churches approved of him teaching there for 1- years. Reverend Reynolds asked if he could go to Hanover, Illinois to preach on February 11, 1962. The churches agreed and Rev. Reynolds accepted the call to leave on March 13, 1962.

On July 6, 1962, the pulpit committee from Frankville and Rossville recommended student Lloyd Sorenson for our pastor. He was our student supply until January 1965 when a call was issued to him. He was installed on June 20, 1965. At the August 1966 meeting, Reverend Sorenson asked the congregations to concur with his request to dissolve the relations between himself and both churches, as he had a call from the Presbyterian Church in Buffalo, Minnesota.

At the June 1964 session meeting Paul and Jean Pufahl expressed their desire to purchase a new communion table and pulpit for the Rossville Presbyterian Church in memory of their son, Gary, who passed away October 14, 1963. A baptismal font was purchased at the same time so it would match the other two pieces.

In 1965, Rossville Presbyterian Church was given some money from the Laura Deremore estate. More was being done in our basement. Hot water was put in, bathrooms and kitchen completed, including new cupboards, sinks, and new stoves. More money was needed to help pay for these projects. The annual chicken supper was held. The menu was increased. The ladies furnished 100 chickens to fry, 150 pounds of potatoes to be mashed, 50 loaves of bread for dressing, 20 quarts of milk, tomatoes to slice, 30 pounds of cottage cheese, 9 gallons of corn, 4 dish pans of cabbage salad, 40 dozen rolls, 6 loaves of bread, and 80 pies. They ran out of chicken and used 12 pounds of ham. They cleared $530.25 on this dinner.

1965 was also the year that the Rossville Presbyterian Church sponsored the Rest Area, picnic area at the Waterville and Big Foot intersection. They did the maintenance work on the grounds.

Being without a minister since September of 1966, on May 1967 a call was extended to Yusuke Hidaka to be our pastor. He accepted our call and moved into the manse in Frankville July 1967. His ordination and installation service was held Sunday, July 30, 1967 at Frankville. He stayed until January 18, 1970.

During the absence of a minister for the years 1970 to 1972, Robert Larson, a student, filled both the Rossville and Frankville Church services each Sunday.

On May 17, 1970, the sessions of Bethlehem, Frankville, Rossville, and Zalmona churches met to talk about yoking together. Rossville would join Zalmona and Frankville would join Bethlehem. After a great deal of discussion, Zalmona was not ready to make this arrangement so Bethlehem, Frankville, and Rossville went together and would be called Tri Church Mission. The first meeting was held on January 10, 1972 with Reverend Keith Kensinger as pastor of all three churches, aided by the help of a student. The students that served were Robert Larson, Max Forsythe, Dan Flage, and Phil Olson. This arrangement worked real well, taking a lot of work off the shoulders of Pastor Kensinger.

A special session meeting was held on June 12, 1972, to elect a treasurer for the Church due to the death of our treasurer, Merle (Mrs. Lyal) Mitchell, who was killed in a car accident. Darlene Leas was appointed to finish Merle’s term.

A new oil furnace was installed in the church in July of 1973 costing between $1,500 and $1,800.

The Tri Church Mission sessions met on September 25, 1973 at Bethlehem Church to interview Greg Benthall, a student at Luther College, Decorah. A motion was made to accept him. His duties would be to help Reverend Kensinger during the Sunday worship time, beginning September 30, 1973. On October 17, 1974, Reverend Keith Kensinger asked that his pastorship be terminated in the Tri Church Mission. He accepted a position as Campus Minister at the University of Wisconsin in LaCrosse, taking effect on November 15, 1974.

On May 4, 1975, a call was extended to Roger Hawthorne to become the pastor in the Tri Church Mission. He moved to the area on August 21 and was installed on September 21, 1975 at the Bethlehem Church. Don Patterson, a student, would assist him.

A congregational meeting was called on September 19, 1976. The purpose of the meeting was to take a vote to see whether we wanted to yoke with Zalmona Presbyterian Church. A vote was taken and agreement was made to yoke with Zalmona. The arrangement would begin on May 29, 1977. The Tri-Church Mission was dissolved and was again, our yoking with the Frankville Church came to an end after being together for over forty years.

On January 1, 1977, we became a part of the new John Knox Presbytery. This is a unit of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, created by the 188th General Assembly meeting in Baltimore, Maryland, in May 1976. It is incorporated in the state of Wisconsin with adherence to the laws in the states of Iowa and Minnesota. The Presbyterian Church came to Iowa in the 1830’s, Wisconsin in the 1840’s, and it came to Minnesota in the 1850’s. The Assembly in 1976 formed the boundaries of the Presbytery to include all churches and ministers in the counties of Dubuque (except Community Church, Cascade, Iowa), Fayette, Clayton, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Jackson (except First Church, Miles, Iowa), in Iowa; Fillmore, Houston, and Winona in Minnesota; and Marquette, Grant, Lafayette, Green, Dane, Iowa, Crawford, Richland, Sauk, Columbia, Vernon, LaCrosse, Monroe, Juneau, Adams, Buffalo, Trempealeau, and Jackson in Wisconsin.

A call was extended to Robert Lueck to become our pastor of Zalmona and Rossville Presbyterian Churches. On June 1, 1977, Reverend Lueck became our pastor and was installed at the Zalmona Church on August 14, 1977. The interior of the Church was painted this summer by the members and Pastor Lueck. John and Almeda Boardman had a nice wooden cross made and hung in the front of the Church in memory of Almeda’s mother, Rachel Ellen (Douglas) LeHew. The dedication of the cross took place September 4, 1977.

Vivian Huffman, Clerk of Session since 1951, resigned her position on February 2, 1978, and handed in the session books for the new clerk. The exterior of the Church needs painting. Some thought it would be nice to put siding on instead of painting. Doug Kubitz checked on the prices of siding finding that it would cost from $6,700 to $9,000 to side the Church. Because we are short of money, it was decided to once again paint the building. Gene Thias offered to put a new sidewalk in front of the church out to the parking lot. This project was completed November 8, 1978.

1981 brought some improvements to our Church with the installation of a speaker system, a Hammond Organ was purchased, a partition was placed to enclose the furnace, and storm windows were installed.

On February 17, 1983, Pastor Bob Lueck gave his resignation to the session members. He would leave on April 30, 1983 and go to Ebeneezer Presbyterian Church at George, Iowa. On June 3, 1984, a call was extended to Reverend James Jacobson for pastor for Zalmona and Rossville Presbyterian Churches. He accepted our call. On September 9, 1984, Reverend Jacobson was installed. The installation service was held at Zalmona.

The steps on the north side entrance need to be repaired so it was decided to build a ramp, making it wheelchair accessible. The dedication took place on March 17, 1985 with the help of Bob Rush. Ceiling fans were installed and the exterior of the Church was painted in 1986.

A celebration was held on March 1, 1987, honoring Vivian Huffman for 40 years of being the organist in our church. In August of 1987 our Church learned that we had inherited a portion of money from the Harley Leas estate. Some improvements were made in the dining area. The walls were paneled and carpet put on the floor. On April 24, 1988, Darlene Leas was honored for being Church Treasurer for 16 years.

Our hymn books were well worn and a committee was selected to look into purchasing some new books. In October of 1990, the committee chose the New Presbyterian Hymnal. Our pulpit chairs were new in 1894, and by 1992 were in need of some repair work. A fund was set up to get the chairs fixed. The chairs were fixed with new springs, refinished, and new upholstery.

February 1993 Pastor James Jacobson gave us sad news when he informed us that June 30 would be his last day with us, after being our pastor for nine years. Vivian Huffman, our organist, retired on June 1, 1993, after playing the organ for us for 50 years. On Sunday, June 6 a musical hour was given in her honor with her sister, Verla, Karen Roffman, Shelly Kubitz, Pastor Jim, and his son, Joe, playing and singing. Vivian was given a plaque in remembrance of all these years, followed by fellowship time.

Reverend James Walker, an interim pastor was called to be pastor of Zalmona and Rossville Presbyterian Churches on October 1, 1993. He will be with us until September 30, 1994. After spending one year with us, we want to express our sincere gratitude to Rev. Walker, for the privilege of knowing and working with you this past year, God Bless you.

We thank the Lord for making it possible to maintain our ties with Zalmona these past 18 years and to be able to participate jointly with our four neighbor churches for Lenten Services, Mission Sundays, Bible School programs, Thanksgiving Services, and World Day of Prayer. As we have looked back on the past 100 years, let us trust the Lord’s blessings will continue to help us in years to come.

~*~*~

PART 2:

PASTORS WHO SERVED OUR CHURCH

Rev. J. Woodruff 1866 - 1870

Rev. John C. Hanna 1870 - 1872

Rev. James Frothingham 1873 - 1874

Rev. B. Hall 1874 - 1887

No pastor 1887 - 1891

Rev. Robert L. Van Nice 1891 - 1892

Rev. W.H. Ensign 1892 - 1893

C.W. Wilson (Student) 1893 -1894

Rev. Z. F. Blakely 1894 - 1895

Rev. James C. Wilson 1895 - 1897

Rev. J.S. Phillips 1897 - 1898

Rev. T. Reeves
(During summer vacation) (3 mos. 1898; 3 mos. 1899)

Rev. W.R. Baird 1898 - 1899

Rev. A. J. Gregg 1899 - 1902

Rev. Simpson 1902 - 1904

No pastor 1904 - 1907

Rev. J. C. Peck 1907 - 1908

Rev. Albert Nickless 1908 - 1909

Rev. Leonard Duckett 1909 - 1911

  Students from Dubuque Seminary School 1911 - 1913

Rev. Albert Gertsch 1913 - 1914

Rev. W. O. Hillborn 1914 - 1916

No pastor 1916 - 1919

Rev. Robert L. Van Nice 1919 - 1936

Rev. G. Fred Butler 1936 - 1939

Rev. Wilton Sinning 1939 - 1944

Rev. A. H. Grossheim 1944 - 1948

William Niles (Student) 1948 - 1951

Rev. Thomas Nelson 1952 - 1954

Rev. Alden Showalter 1955 - 1957

Rev. Robert Reynolds 1958 - 1962

Rev. Lloyd Sorenson 1962 - 1966

Rev. Yusuke Hidaka 1967 - 1970

Robert Larson 1970 - 1972

Rev. Keith Kensinger 1972 - 1974

Rev. Roger Hawthorne, 1975 - 1977

Rev. Robert Lueck 1977 - 1983

Rev. James Jacobson 1984 - 1993

Rev. James Walker, Interim 1993 - 1994


Rev. R.L. Van Nice 1919-1936
Rev. Wilton Sinning 1939-1944
Rev. A.H. Grossheim 1944-1948
Rev. William Niles 1948-1951

Rev. Alden Showalter 1955-1957
Rev. William Tjaden moderator 1958-1971
Rev. Robert Reynolds 1958-1962
Rev. Keith Kensinger 1972-1974

Rev. Roger Hawthorne 1975-1977
Rev. Robert Lueck 1977-1983
Rev. James Jacobson 1984-1993
Rev. James Walker 1993-1994

~*~*~

PART 3:

STUDENT ASSISTANTS:

Phil Olson 1972 - 1973
Greg Bentall 1973 - 1974
Don Patterson 1974 - 1975
Ed Freeborn 1976

MEMBERS OF SESSION in 1978:

Ruth Brandsmeier (Clerk)
Gary Mitchell
Darlene Rush
Doug Kubitz
Nancy Adam
Leon Ralston

 

YOUTH ADVISORS:

Dave Ralston
Bob Rush

TREASURER:

Darlene Leas

ORGANIST:

Vivian Huffman

CUSTODIAN:

Clara Leas


UNITED PREBYTERIAN WOMEN’S ORGANIZATION OFFICERS:

Sharyn McCormick, President
Vivian Turnmeyer, Treasurer
Nola Palmer, Vice-President
Sharon Kubitz, Chaplain
Phyllis Lawson, Secretary

~*~*~

PART 4:

ROLL OF ELDERS AND YEAR OF ELECTION:

Robert Crawford - 1866

S. L. Sergent - 1866

Robert Henderson - 1867

S.H. Drake - 1870

Daniel Kelly - 1879

Alexander Creig - 1882

John Leas - 1891

James Henderson - 1891

Samuel Campbell - 1891

Henry Graham - 1894

John Kelly - 1894

L.B. Wiley - 1894

William Kelly - 1895

J.A. Henderson - 1897

George Leas - 1907

Orange B. Kelly - 1908

H.C. Campbell - 1915

J.R. Reeder - 1922

Ray Robey - 1922

Earl Kelly - 1922

Gilbert Eadie - 1926

Oscar Rumph - 1926

Ray Leas - 1926

Walter Gast - 1930

Cullen Henderson - 1930

Harry Leas - 1934

Arthur Leas - 1949

Emmett Palmer - 1949

Earl Huffman - 1951

John Boardman - 1951

Vivian Huffman - 1951

Darlene Leas - 1955

Lyal Mitchell - 1958

Clinton Kelly - 1959

Ray Rush - 1960

Jean Pufahl - 1961

  Stanley Ewing - 1965

Byron Livingood - 1965

John Berg - 1966

Clara Leas - 1966

Leon Ralston - 1968

Merle Mitchell - 1969

Clarence Brandsmeier - 1969

Norbert Palmer - 1971

Paul Pufahl - 1972

Ray Mitchell - 1973

Phyllis Lawson - 1973

Mary Ann Kaeser - 1974

Darlene Rush - 1975

Gary Mitchell - 1975

Nancy Adam - 1976

Ruth Brandsmeier - 1976

Leon Ralston - 1978

Doug Kubitz - 1978

June Behrend - 1980

Elmer Rush - 1981

Chris Wonderlich - 1981

Ronald Adam - 1983

Hedy Leas - 1983

Sharyn McCormick - 1984

Steve Hoppenworth - 1985

Nola Palmer - 1985

Almeda Boardman - 1986

Gwen Kaeser - 1986

Jacky Bresnahan - 1987

Sharon Kubitz - 1988

Arvid Leas - 1988

Sandra Ehrhardt - 1990

Reggie Adam - 1992

Dwight Watkins - 1992

Phyllis Snitker - 1994

Herb Behrend - 1994

~*~*~

PART 5:

SESSION MEMBERS IN 1993:
Elmer Rush
Sharyn McCormick (Clerk)
Arvid Leas
Reggie Adam
Dwight Watkins
Sharon Kubitz

CHURCH TREASURER: ORGANIST:
Darlene Leas
Vivian Huffman

SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS:
Cindy Barrett
Renae Adam

  SESSION MEMBERS IN 1994:
Sharon Kubitz (Clerk)
Dwight Watkins
Reggie Adam
Phyllis Snitker
Arvid Leas
Herb Behrend

TREASURER:
Darlene Leas (Since 1972)

~*~*~

PART 6:

NAME OF MEMBERS AND DATE RECEIVED
SEPTEMBER 9, 1866 - JULY 24, 1994

NAME OF MEMBERS & DATE RECEIVED:

Andrew Henderson - September 9, 1866

Susanna Leas - September 9, 1866

Sarah Kelly - June 4, 1971

Daniel Kelly - October 17, 1872

Levi Deal - December 20, 1873

Jeremiah Leas - December 20, 1873

William Huffman - June 9, 1891

Nettie Kelly - June 9, 1891

Mattie Gast - June 9, 1891

William Kelly - June 9, 1891

Emeline Kleese - June 26, 1891

Estelle Leas - June 26, 1891

George and Sarah Leas - June 26, 1891

Maud Woodmansee - June 26, 1891

Clara Rush - June 26, 1891

Frank Kleese - January 26, 1892

Maratha Elliot - January 26, 1892

Emeline Wilson - February 18, 1892

Edith Walters - July 9, 1893

Effie Kuhne - July 23, 1893

Sarah Kelly - September 17, 1893

Dan Kelly - April 14, 1894

A. H. Gast - April 14, 1894

Orange B. Kelly - April 14, 1894

Edith M. Kelly - April 14, 1894

Angie Kelly - April 14, 1894

Hazel Robey - November 26, 1902

Hepsie McClintock - June _, 1904

Sadie Kelly - May 3, 1908

H.C. and Jane Campbell - November 29, 1908

Mamie Campbell - November 29, 1908

Ray Robey - February 21, 1909

Leslie Rush - August 1, 1909

John Burroughs - June 4, 1916

Mary Burroughs - June 4, 1916

Gilbert H. Eadie - July 16, 1916

Walter P. Eadie - July 16, 1916

Joseph and Edith Reeder - January 4, 1920

Ruth McClintock - January 25, 1920

Helen McClintock - January 25, 1920

Irma Robey - November 19, 1922

Colia Robey - November 19, 1922

Lloyd and Edna Reeder - November 19, 1922

Walter and Hattie Gast - November 19, 1922

Alice Gast - November 19, 1922

John and Edna Rumph - November 19, 1922

Erma Rumph - November 19, 1922

Carrie Pufahl - November 19, 1922

Kenneth Pufahl - November 19, 1922

Paul Pufahl - November 19, 1922

Florence Pufahl - November 19, 1922

Nanie Canfield - November 19, 1922

Ula Deemer - November 19, 1922

Clinton and Gusta Kelly - November 19, 1922

Cullen and Lizzie Henderson - November 26, 1922

Marie Mitchell - October 5, 1924

Lyal Mitchell - October 5, 1924

Gretta Palmer - October 5, 1924

Emmett Palmer - October 5, 1924

Everett Palmer - October 5, 1924

Ray and Blanch Leas - October 5, 1924

Harry and Sarah Leas - November 30, 1924

Arthur and Helga Louise Leas - November 30, 1924

Arthur Evans - November 22, 1925

Addie Evans - November 22, 1925

Boyd Woodman see - November 2, 1928

Dale Robey - January 2, 1928

Ruth Deemer - April 17, 1928

Ralph Klees - July 3, 1928

Ethel Joy Robey - July 20, 1930

Harry Dale Leas - October 4, 1931

Evelyn Leas - October 4, 1931

Winnifred Huffman - June 10, 1934

Evelyn Klees Palmer - October 7, 1934

Leslie and Zelda Leas - June 28, 1936

Neva Deal - December 25, 1938

Marguerite Pettit - December 25, 1938

Alfrea Pederson - December 25, 1938

Marguerite McMillan - December 25, 1938

Ruth Rush - December 25, 1938

Darlene Rush - December 25, 1938

Leona Rush - December 25, 1938

Ray L. and Hazel L. Rush - October 5, 1941

Regina M. Pufahl - October 5, 1941

Lee and Gayle (Thias) Smith - April 23, 1944

Freedom Walters - September 10, 1944

Lowell Walters - September 10, 1944

John and Cora Foote - December 30, 1945

Margaret Deal - December 30, 1945

Clayton Neal Palmer - July 4, 1948

Allan E. Palmer - July 4, 1948

Laura Palmer - July 4, 1948

Vivian Huffman - October 10, 1948

Earl Huffman - October 10, 1948

Neil Leas - October 10, 1948

Joyce Leas - April 10, 1949

Eva Walters - April 10, 1949

Darlene Lauryne Thias - April 10, 1949

Phyllis Lawson - April 10, 1949

Eugene Thias - April 10, 1949

Robert Palmer - April 10, 1949

Norbert Palmer - April 10, 1949

Merle Mitchell - April 10, 1949

Ireta Leas - July 31, 1949

Pearl Stahl - July 31, 1949

Gladys Huffman - July 31, 1949

Violet Walters - July 31, 1949

John O. Boardman - July 31, 1949

Rolland Frink - October 9, 1949

Claudette Pettit - October 9, 1949

Clara Leas - October 1, 1950

Jane Palmer - October 5, 1952

Neal Leas - April 5, 1953

Ray Mitchell - April 5, 1953

Clifford Livingood - April 5, 1953

Richard Boardman - April 5, 1953

Barbara Boardman - April 5, 1953

James and Doris Ewing - January 17, 1954

Bonnie Ewing - January 17, 1954

Shirley Wagner - January 24, 1954

James Wagner - January 24, 1954

Arlene Wagner - January 24, 1954

Kay Walters - January 24, 1954

Lillian Erickson - April 3, 1955

  Stanley and Darlene Ewing - October 21, 1956

Charles and Florence Ewing - January 10, 1957

Reuben and Minerva Frink - January 10, 1957

Sidney and Ruth McClintock - January 10, 1957

Donald McClintock - January 20, 1957

John Boardman, Jr. - January 20, 1957

Gary Ewing - January 20, 1957

Gary Pufahl - January 20, 1957

Nancy Pufahl - January 20, 1957

Sharon Walters - January 20, 1957

Kay Ewing - January 20, 1957

Gary Mitchell - January 20, 1957

Frances Kelly - January 20, 1957

Clinton Vernon Kelly - January 20, 1957

Byron and Lulu Livingood - February 11, 1957

Willis Livingood - February 11, 1957

Arlo Boardman - February 17, 1957

Almeda C. Boardman - February 17, 1957

Hannah McClintock - April 7, 1957

Iva Snitker - May 15, 1960

Leonard, Jr. and Phyllis Snitker - May 15, 1960

Lorraine Mitchell - May 15, 1960

James Boardman - May 15, 1960

Connie Kelly - May 15, 1960

LeRoy McClintock - May 15, 1960

Terri Snitker - May 15, 1960

Ronald Adam - January 7, 1962

Clarence Brandsmeier - July 15, 1962

Elmer and Darlene Rush - September 23, 1962

Almeda Boardman - February 3, 1963

Nola Palmer - August 4, 1963

John and Thelma Berg - October 6, 1963

Mary Ann Kaeser - January 19, 1964

LaVonne Vichlach - February 2, 1964

Perry Vichlach - February 2, 1964

Lorna Vichlach - March 22, 1964

Darlyn Rush - March 22, 1964

James Rush - March 22, 1964

James Leas - March 22, 1964

Walter Lawson - March 22, 1964

Darrel Snitker - November 29, 1964

Barbara Leas Mowat - July 24, 1966

Leon and Pauline Ralston - September 4, 1966

Debra Kelly - April 2, 1967

Sharon Ewing - April 2, 1967

Michael Snitker - April 2, 1967

Richard Rush - April 2, 1967

David Leas - April 2, 1967

Janet Thias - October 22, 1967

Danny Beisker - June 2, 1968

Paul Kaeser - June 2, 1968

Wendy Thias - June 2, 1968

Tom Vichlach - June 2, 1968

Glen Krueger - May 17, 1970

William and June Behrend - June 12, 1972

Debra Palmer - April 8, 1973

Kathy Palmer - April 8, 1973

Terry Palmer - April 8, 1973

Deanne Thias - April 8, 1973

Jacky Beisker - April 8, 1973

Sharon McCormick - March 31, 1974

Julie Hitchcock - March 31, 1974

James and Juliann Halverson - March 31, 1974

Elizabeth Kaeser - June 18, 1974

Sue Ewing - June 18, 1974

Arlene Brandsmeier - June 18, 1974

Bernard Brandsmeier - June 18, 1974

Allen Troester - June 18, 1974

Robert Rush - June 18, 1974

Jeff Mitchell - June 18, 1974

David Ralston - June 18, 1974

Mary Mitchell - November 10, 1974

Reginold Adam - June 27, 1976

Leonette Smith - September 5, 1976

Doug Kubitz - August 26, 1976

Craig Adam - April 30, 1978

Lorie Beisker - April 30, 1978

Wesley Beisker - April 30, 1978

Gwen Kaeser - April 30, 1978

Barbara Livingood - April 30, 1978

Jane Palmer - April 30, 1978

Donald Rush - April 30, 1978

William Thias - April 30, 1978

Pam Mitchell - April 8, 1979

Stephen Mitchell - April 8, 1979

Barbara Rush - April 8, 1979

Corine Smith - April 8, 1979

Herb Behrend - April 8, 1979

Rodney Adam - April 9, 1980

Todd Kaeser - April 9, 1980

Robert Palmer - April 9, 1980

Steve and Patty Hoppenworth - June 22, 1980

Chris and Nancy Wonderlich - November 30, 1980

Hedy Leas - November 30, 1980

Marsha Behrend - April 5, 1981

Todd Mitchell - April 5, 1981

Jan Kaeser - April 5, 1981

Janelle McCormick - April 10, 1983

Troy Mitchell - April 10, 1983

Jackie Halverson - April 10, 1983

Mari Rush - April 10, 1983

Lee Bresnahan - January 8, 1986

Arvid Leas - January 8, 1986

Mathew Behrend - March 24, 1986

Jolyn McCormick - March 24, 1986

Trent Mitchell - March 24, 1986

Kevin Bublitz - June 7, 1986

Mark and Sandra Ehrhardt - October 16, 1988

Jodie Halverson - May _ 1988

Dewey and Lorraine Prouty - May _ 1988

Jim Prouty - May - 1988

Jamie Prouty - May _ 1988

Dwight and Michelle Watkins - March 10, 1991

Christopher Barr- May 19, 1991

Laura Bresnahan - May 19, 1991

Bobby Kubitz - May 19, 1991

Renae Adam - December 22, 1991

Cindy Barrett - June 7, 1992

Shelly Kubitz - June 7, 1992

Craig Bresnahan - June 7, 1992

Vickie Behrend - January 31, 1993

Calvin (Nick) and Lois Jones - January 31, 1993

Chad Jones - May 23, 1993

Mike Jones - May 23, 1993

Kim Kaeser - July 24, 1994


~*~*~

~Source: Original Booklet, “History of the Rossville Presbyterian Church, 1894-1994, One Hundredth Anniversary”. Compiled by: Pastor Jim Walker, Arvid and Hedy (Buerger) Leas, Darlene (Rush) Leas, Leona (Rush) Troester, Monona Billboard, and Becky Brink, Secretary

~Transcribed for Allamakee co. IAGenWeb by Connie L. (Kelly) Ellis, former member of the Rossville Church, Rossville, Jefferson twp., Allamakee County, Iowa.

~*~*~

Return to Church index