From the river to the east and west line of French
Creek Twp., at the top of the Big Hill (Beetem) were
the farms of ferryman Wm . Brooks, Wm. Kibby, Dennis
Donovan and D. Lahey. Up on Beetem Ridge were John D.
Beetem, a Kentuckian, J. Schuster, John Ashbacker,
Geo. and Gottlieb Wild, Aaron Dawson, G. Stark, M.
Hoffman, John Stone, Henry Hirth, John Munz and Henry
Haas whose stone dwelling is still in use. (torn down
when a new house was built by Robert Hartley). The
first schoolhouse was built in the early 60s.
From French Creek P. O. on creek and river were
Wm. Yoeman, Geo. Kibby, the Clarks and Chas. Elliot
who opened a small store on his farm around Owl's
Head Bluff where in the 1850s a Mr. Woodmansee had
platted on paper Alton City and disposed of lots to
credulous persons at a distance who made inquiries by
mail as to exact location and surroundings.
From the mouth of Clear Creek through Albert's
farm past Old's Bluff (east of Mt. Hope Bluff) and
around back of Mt. Hope were P. Waters, John
Sheckelton, D. Hastings, J. W. Cole, the Williamsens,
P. Fitzgerald and Marshall Merritt who was first
postmaster at Clear Creek with weekly mail from
Lansing and Burr Oak and return. Farther up the creek
were M. Lamb, Nathan and Wm. Dennison, Wm and Thomas
Lusk and Joseph Wampler. The Wheatland school
district school was built in '60/'61.
Up the river in the small hamlet of New
Galena-Hanover Twp and so named for Galena, Ill.
where visions of mineral wealth were not realized
were Oberts, Greenes, Mays and others. Farther down
the river were Maurice O'Reagan, Patrick McGuire,
Thos. Bulman and around The Elephant Bluff were
George and Wm. Bulman, Thos. Reburn, J. Coleman, Wm.
Sadler, John Rowe, Dr. J. S. Allen and ...Perkins.
Up the river from Benj. Ratcliffe were the Wm.
Beardmores who had come from Liverpool, England to
Wheeling in 1843 (1853) and to Allamakee Co. in 1865.
The piece of land next to Beardmores on the river was
owned by the widow of Lynn Ratcliffe who died Feb
1858 on the eve of emigrating with Bro. Benj.
Ratcliffe -was later divided and sold to J. G.
Ratcliffe and J. W. Hartley who improved it and later
married Sarah Ratcliffe in 1868. J. G. Ratcliffe
later removed to Waukon as County Supeervisor and
business man later issuing the first Co. map. J. W.
Hartley moved to French Cr. Twp.
In July 1864 J. Gilchrist of W. Va, purchased E.
T. Albert's farm and in April 1865, J. Singleton
purchased the farm of James Rowe (now Fedketter) in
French Cr. Twp. Wm. Beardmore purchased the Chas.
McGinnis farm next to Mt. Hope.