By A. R. Prescott
History of Winneshiek and Allamakee Counties
"Our fathers to their graves have gone,
Their strife is past--their triumph won,
But sterner trials wait the race
Which rises in their honored place."
Post Township occupies Congressional Township No. 96 north, range 6, west of 5th principal meridian: is the southwest corner township of Allamakee County, Iowa, and contains 22,491 acres.
The surface is undulating, and in the northern part, bluffy. Yellow River runs easterly through the entire township, somewhat north of the middle sections, and is formed from two branches, one coming from the northwest through sections 6 and 7, the other from the southwest through section 18, meeting on the southwest corner of section 8, and almost immediately disappearing in the lose limestone formation of its bed, running under-ground for about two miles, then suddenly gushing out at the foot of the bluff, in one huge spring, on the northwest quarter of section 3. Thence onward, the river is rapid, clear, and in its descent affording numerous mill sites, and from the influx of other large springs, very characteristic of this valley, scarcely freezes in winter. The south bank is skirted by a belt of heavy forest, extending completely through and beyond the township lines, in width about one and a half to two miles. On the river bluffs pine was found in considerable quantities, though long since converted into early buildings. The belt of forest on the south of the river consists of the best varieties of oak, walnut, butternut, ash, hickory, ample, with basswood and poplar, and though more than thirty years have passed since the white man's ax began its destruction, the same forest still furnishes its regular supply of fire wood and building materials, and in much greater quantities as time passes, than at the first settlement of the country. The north bank of the river affords but little forest in this township; local groves of small timber and scattering oaks and hickory trees, with the heaviest portion on section 8, constituting the amount on the north side.
The soil on the north is stiff yellow or light clay subsoil, with a top of thin--but very rich--black loam, which has produced the best specimens of spring wheat grown in the west. Considerable alluvila bottomlands lie along the river of excessive richness, producing the largest crops of all kinds raised in this latitude, including sweet potatoes.
One species of the old forestry seems nearly annihilated--the bee tree. In early days so frequently was this variety felled, that every settler, up to about 1853, of common enterprise had his barrel of honey as a part of his winter food supply, and as many as two hundred pounds were frequently taken from one tree in Yellow river woods. The sugar tree still yields its crop as of yore--in considerable quantities.
In these woods, bears, wolves, panthers and wild cats were numerous in the early days, and red deer fairly flocked on the prairies up to about 1857, when in that winter a deep snow and thick crust prevented them from traveling, and they fell easy victims to the hunter. This snow and crust prevailing over the entire northwest, deer were almost totally annihilated, as but very few have been seen since.
Bear hunting was a favorite pastime up to about 1854, when the last town hunt, in October, culminated in a law suit against some outsiders who happened to be "in at the death" of a wounded bear, and who had the bear skinned and the 400 pounds of meat divided and quietly taken away before the regular hunters arrived on the ground to dispatch him. The cause was tried before John Laughlin, J. P., Hon. John T. Clark, attorney, for plaintiffs (the regular hunters), and James & J. D. McKay for defendants. Carried to District Court, then to State Supreme Court, and finally decided adverse to plaintiffs.
The settlement of Post Township, by permanent white people, was begun by Joel Post, a millwright from Caughnawauga, Cattaraugus County, New York, who obtained permission to occupy the government "log shanty" or "half-way house," built by the United State troops half-way between Fort Crawford, Wisconsin and Fort Atkinson, Iowa. The document has been preserved, and reads as follows:
"Joel Post is hereby granted the privilege of occupying the house and stable, belonging to the public, on the military road from Fort Crawford to Turkey River (I. T.) during the pleasure of Gen. Brooke, or the commanding officer at Fort Crawford.
"The said Joel Post has permission to make such additions to house and stable as he thinks proper, and the use of the buildings are to be always open, free of charge to the use of the public; a supply of wood for the use of one fire is also to be furnished free of charge. The said Post will also be required to take charge of and be responsible for all public property placed under his charge at that place.
"The privilege of cutting a sufficient supply of hay for the use of the public, at the nearest point at that place, is reserved; and the said Post has the privilege of cutting what wood and timber, for building and fuel, as he may find necessary for his own use and travelers. He has also the privilege of breaking ground and planting, and is always to be subject to the orders of the commanding officers at Fort Crawford.
"It is hereby further contracted by the said Post that he is not to keep spirituous liquors in his house, on any pretense whatever; neither is he to sell liquors, either directly or indirectly, to Indians or United States soldiers, under the penalty of being immediately removed; and, farther, that he is not to trade with the Indians, unless by permission from the Indian Agent. It is also stated that the said Post may build nearer to the spring, as being more convenient, but at the same time must be responsible for the public buildings now erected, and also all other public property placed under his charge.
"George M. Brooke,
"Brev. Brig.-Gen. Com'g 1st Dept. W. Div.
"Fort Crawford, January 12th, 1841.
"I, Joel Post, do hereby bind myself to observe the above
order, in all respects, under all the penalties prescribed.
Fort Crawford, January 12th, 1841.
Witness: John Robertson, Thos. Buyber.
Note.--The power reserved by the commanding officer of Fort Crawford, in the above instrument, is also to be held by the commanding officer at Turkey River, when a senior officer to that at Fort Crawford.
The document is not a model in grammar or punctuation, but is given above precisely as written and punctuated.
The "shanty" then consisted of a log house, 16X20 feet, and a log stable somewhat larger, and was located about sixty rods east from the one-fourth post, on north side of Section 33. The occupation of the family was a kind of hotel keeping, and the promise of good business in this line was the chief inducement for Mr. Post to risk himself so far from civilization. But the business grew, and proved both profitable and pleasant, and increased so fast that in the next winter Mr. Post and one Richard Only built a more commodious and hotel-like house, which on completion afforded comfortable quarters for Government and military officers, Government teamsters, etc., and proved quite remunerative for about two years, when these teamsters, who were mostly from Illinois, planed a scheme to cheat Mr. Post out of their unpaid bills; it being the custom for them to pay their bills on their return from Fort Atkinson, where they were paid for their services.
They did this by constructing a new road, or route, which could be traveled by unloaded teams, across the bend of the road; beginning near the southwest corner of Section 33, and keeping near the county line. They could thus pass by the "half way" unseen, avoiding the "north bend" and the hotel bill at once. This new "cut off" received the name of "Sucker Chute," these new developments led to a removal of the "Half Way House" to the west end of "Sucker Chute" by special permission of the commanding officer of the military department, then Major Edwin V. Sumner, in June, 1843. This house proved a nucleus, around which settlements were made, and travelers found a quiet home and resting place, and Postville, a local habitation, and a name. A number of the men who have since become famous in the civil and military history of the country, were accustomed to visit this house and partake of its cheer, among whom are the names of H.M. Rice of Minnesota; Dousman and Bisbois; of Wisconsin; the late John Haney, and son John, Jr., of Lansing, Iowa; Capt. Nathaniel Lyon E.V. Sumner, Patterson; Capts. Miller, Schuyler, Hamilton and Lieut. Alfred Pleasanton, all since Generals, high in command and fame in the military history of our country. A story is told by Mrs. Post of the first appearance of Lieutenant Pleasanton at her house in 1844 or 1845, She describes him as a very pleasant young man, of a keen sharp eye, restless when not employed, always driving his own business with great energy. Coming to the Half Way House in a horse and buggy, he said to the hostler, "give the horse his rations which you will find in the buggy." Quite a goodly number of people at dinner were surprised by the appearance of the son of Erin, of the barn, with:" If yes plaze, Misther Liftenant, will I bees after fading yer nag wid the banes, or the pork or thim square crackers first?"
The Commissary instead of Quartermaster had put up the Lieutenant's rations, and feed for man instead of horse. The Lieutenant explained and the company enjoyed a smile with him.
Settlements of a permanent nature began as soon as the lands were surveyed and the Indians removed, which took place in the fall of 1847. The first one was 'Squire Crossly, from Galena, Ill., who settled on section 32, half a mile west of Mr. Post's, in June; the next one. Josiah Reed, from Ohio, half a mile west of Crossly, in October; John Reed on section 30; Thomas Newberry, northwest quarter of section 28, all in 1847. A number had also settled over the line in Clayton County, so that in the summer of 1848 a school was started with twenty scholars in one of the chamber rooms at Mr. Post's by a Mrs. Quinn.
The first religious services were also held at Mr. Post's, by Rev. Eldridge Howard, a M.E. preacher, in June, 1848, and later by one Stevens, a Presbyterian.
The principal settlers of 1848 were Henry Noble and Elias Topliff, both locating in October or November on section 30.
A school was taught at Mr. Post's in the winter of 1848 and '49 by Mr. Bliss.
On New Year's Day, 1849, was held the first social party in the new settlement, at the "Half Way House," by Mr. Post. Having spent eight years in frontier life with few neighbors, the time had come when all should meet and learn the names and ways of men and women, who were to build up the new community with him. It is related that every settler within eight miles was present, the most of them bringing their wives, and in not a few cases the whole family appeared at the New Years feast. Several uniforms were present, and the repast was spoken of as one of luxury and bountiful to excess. The festivities were kept up by the few youngsters to a late hour, and at that gathering an engagement was ma e which resulted in the first wedding ever celebrated in Allamakee County, viz; Elias J. Topliff and Anna Reed, married December 6th, 1849, by Grove A. Warner, Justice of the Peace.
A post office was established in the same month of January, called Postville, and Joel Post appointed postmaster. He, however, dying on the 24th of the same month, never knew of the appointment, as it did not arrive for some days after his decease.
Several settlers arrived in 1849 whose names and locations are as follows: James H. Penny, a soldier just discharged, on section 16; Reuben Smith, section 11; Thomas Newberry, on section 28; Constantine Hughes, section 12; William Callender, section 9; Hiram Jones, section 15; Moses Hostetler, also on section 15; Anderson Amos, section 14. In 1850 came David W. Lyons, a Presbyterian clergyman, to section 16; Alexander J. Breedlove and Thomas Saucer on section 25; John Minert to section 21; James Mather, section 16; Wm. Fewell and Charles Bowman, on section 23; Jeremiah Prescott and Truman Stoddard, on section 36; also S.P. Hicks, L.R. Herrick, John Clark, Anderson Fewell, on section 34; David Jemison on section 28; Wm. H. Carithers on section 10; P.F. Schwartz, on section 3; Jacob Lybrand, on section 10; In 1851 came P.P. Cady to section 36; Asa Chudle to section 10; John Laughlin to section 27; Sylvester Dennis bought M. Hostetler, on section 15. In 1852 came N.J. Beedy, to section 35; Samuel Dobson, section 22; and many others.
The county board organized Post Township in 1851, according to the memory of the oldest settlers, but there are no records of officers elected that year. The election in April 1852, was held in a blacksmith shop near the house of Chas. Bowman. Thirty-one votes were cast, and Reuben Smith, Chas. Bowman, and A.J. Breedlove were chosen trustees; Jas. C. Thompson, township clerk; John Laughlin, Justice of the Peace; Anderson Amos, constable.
The next record is that of November 4, 1856, when ninety-four votes were polled. The records from this election are perfect. P.P. Cady was township clerk, and procured a book at his own expense, hunting over all the papers of the several officers, in vain for complete records. Much that is valuable, is lost to the compiler from the absence of such important items, compelling us to rely upon the memory of the few early settlers left among us, and whose memory, at the lapse of thirty years, will disagree, thus rendering all attempts at exactness abortive.
At the November election, 1860, W.H. Carithers was chosen as first township supervisor on the county Board; Timothy Stiles, Township Clerk; P.P. Cady and Emery Higbey, Justices; James Patterson and Stephen Thibodo, Constables.
The year 1861 was eventful as changing the future prospects of so many families in our land, and was felt largely in Post Township, when, with a population entirely rural, it furnished more than forty men to the Union Army, distributed and named as follows:
Company K, 1st Iowa Cavalry--Charles T. Prescott 1st (enlistment in the township), Moses A. Bollman, Moses Early, Benton Bowman, Ed. Hanan, John S. Post, Stephen Harris, David M. Minert, Wm. H. Saucer.
Company I, 9th Iowa Infantry--John S. Mather, 'Squire Mather, Geo. S. Rice.
Company B, 12th Iowa Infantry--Wm. Maynard, Elias Repp, Chas. Russell, Stephen Thibodo.
Company B, 13th Iowa Infantry--Jesse P. Prescott, Elza Sanders, David Vickery, Julian D. Miller.
Company B, 21st Iowa Infantry--Wm. T. Hays.
Company A, 27th Iowa Infantry--Caleb I. Bishop, Daniel Cole, Warren Clough, Elisha Curry, Saul Dobson, Theodore Granger, C.C. Marston, Darious C. Mather, Meredith McGee, Calvin McMullen, Hiram Hawkins, Andrew J. Patterson, James Patterson, Warren R. Reed, Truman Stoddard, Geo. W. Topliff, John Pixler, A.L. Stiles, Alonzo Thornton.
Company --, 38th Iowa Infantry--John L. Johnson.
Co. I, Engineer Regt. Mo. Vols.--A.R. Prescott, William R. Johnson, John F. Jones, George W. Wheeler, William Harris.
Co. B, 18th Mo. Infantry.--Dennis A. Harden.
Fifteen of these perished on the field of battle or hospital, and but few of the others are whole and sound. They returned to their homes to begin where they left off--at the plow, bench, store or shop.
General A.C. Dodge, when Senator of Iowa, recommended that a post office be established at the "half-way house," on the Military road in Clayton county, Iowa, to be called Postville, and that Joel Post be appointed the postmaster; dated January 19th, 1849. Elijah Stevenson, however, was the first postmaster, as Joel Post died January 24th, 1849. Josiah D. Reed & Co opened a store in 1851. The village plat consisted of four blocks of eight lots each, 4X8 rods, and was laid out at the crossing of the Military road, with the west line of section 33, by S.P. Hicks, county surveyor, in June, 1853.
A blacksmith shop was started by one Draper, in 1851, but business did not increase till 1855. A few dwellings had been built, when James Roll succeeded Draper in the "smithy," and also built a small frame hotel. Samuel J. Russell succeeded Reed & Co. in the store in 1856. The new and commodious "National Hotel" was completed by Mrs. Post in 1857. H.B. Hazelton put in a stock of goods in 1859. Webster & Stevenson succeeded S.J. Russell in 1863. Several dwellings and trade shops had been built on the main street (i.e., the old military road.) Stores had been enlarged and repaired.
Business received a fresh impetus by the building of the McGregor Western Railway, and its completion to this place, the first arrival of a train taking place on the 8th day of August, 1864. The landing of freight and mails began on the first day of September 1864. At once the place put on new airs. An addition of 100 acres was laid out in lots by Mrs. Post, John Lawler, Joe Reynolds and J.T. Stoneman. A station house was soon erected, and John S. Grohe, agent, began business for the railroad. A large and commodious grain elevator was built by Lawler & Reynolds at a cost of $26,000, 50X90 feet, with seventeen bins; whole capacity, 51,000 bushels. Boiler and engine room, 16X24; boiler, 20-horse power. Aggregate pay roll of employees, $500 per month. Finished about September 15th, 1864. E.D. Holton and Hall Roberts put in an extensive stock of merchandise near the elevator. Other merchants and trades people who located in Postville since that time, may be mentioned, as C. VanHooser, National Hotel; James Perry and Leithold & Poesch, merchants; A.W. McDonald, harness maker, in 1865.
Passing over the events of a few years, which were prosperous ones for the township, we mention that in 1871 the assessed value of the total amount of property was $255,026. The village had increased to correspond with the rural districts.
The Northeastern Iowa Agricultural Society was organized here in March, 1871, embracing four counties, banded together for the mutual improvement of all branches of industry.
The Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railway Company began business on the Milwaukee division of their road in Postville, about September 5, 1872, James Perry, agent.
The village was incorporated March 1, 1873--John S. Mott, Mayor; A.P. Abbott, C.P. Darling, J.N. Leithold, J.H. Sanders, Trustees; D.T. Smithwest, Recorder.
Hall Roberts purchased one-third of the Lawler & Reynolds elevator in 1875. The company (known as Hall Roberts & Co.) handled one hundred and eighty-five thousand bushels of grain the same year. W.S. and Hall Roberts started the Postville Bank also this year.
SCHOOLS AND SCHOOLHOUSES.
The township has built thirteen school houses, distributed on the several sections, as follows: The first, on the east side of Section 36, was built of oak logs, 16X22, in the fall of 1849, mainly by the efforts of Leonard B. Hodges, of Hardin, who also taught the first school there. The last school in the house was taught by Wm. Larrabee, of Clermont.
Second, also of oak logs, was built in 1852, near the southeast corner of Section 28.
Third, called "West Grove," was the first frame schoolhouse in the township, built in 1854, near the northeast corner of Section 22, and was removed in 1860 to Section 24.
Fourth, "Postville Sub. District," a frame, built in the southwest corner of Section 33, in 1858.
Fifth, "Lybrand," a frame built in 1860, on the north side of the northwest quarter of Section 15.
Sixth, "Minert," a frame, built in 1862, near the southeast corner of Section 3, to replace the log house, No.2.
Seventh, a frame built in 1864, on the west side of Section 20.
Eighth, a frame built in 1865, near the center of Section 35.
Ninth, frame built in 1865, on Section 31.
Tenth, frame on south line of Section 5.
Eleventh, "Myron," frame, built on a lot in village in 1870.
Twelfth, frame, built in 1873, at the east end of Reuben Smith's bridge, across Yellow River, near the northeast corner of Section 11.
Thirteenth, "Postville High School," built of brick, is two stories high, with basement, rooms for five grades. The district has lately purchased the Baptist church property, which gives additional room, and better facilities for teaching the large and steadily increasing number of scholars, which it is necessary to provide for.
The first Sunday-school of Post Township was organized in the first log school-house of the township, in the Hardin district, in 1852, and the school was kept up as "Hardin Union Sabbath School," with a few winter omissions to 1872, when it was divided among the several religious societies in Hardin village.
The second was organized in the old log house of the Postville school district in 1854, by J.C. Marston, who was first superintendent. This school was also kept up with a few omissions in winter, to the year 1869, in Postville, when, becoming very large it was also divided by Congregational, Methodist and Free Will Baptist Societies, October 9, 1869.
They have been conducted with great success by the two societies first mentioned, the two schools numbering three hundred in the village in 1882.
A large and interesting Sunday school is also held at the U.B., or Bethel Church, organized in 1869.
As before stated, the first religious services ever held in Post township were held in June, 1848, by the Methodists, who organized a class in December, 1850, at the house of Henry Noble, who was class leader. Meetings were held by the class in the house of John Minert in 1852-53, known as the West Grove appointment. Meetings were also held with other classes, which were organized as settlers' houses offered opportunity, until schoolhouses were built. In 1856 a class was formed at the house of F. Higby, Esq., in Postville, where meetings were held with little intermission till 1858, when the class occupied the new school house, with regular preaching, alternating with the Congregational Society. The pastors were: Mann, Asbaugh, Bronson, Bishop, Newton, Churchill, Stout, F.K. Miller, Wm. Lease. This pastor began regular service in Postville, October 1859, to October 1861; B. Holcomb, two years; B.C. Barnes, two years. During this term a parsonage was built and Postville became the head of the circuit, with appointments at Frankville, Castalia and Red School house. Rev. Wm. Young, 1865-66; then B.F. Taylor, J.E. Fitch, two years; Rev. G.L. Garrison, three years. During this pastorate a church edifice was built. The corner stone was laid with elaborate ceremony July 4th, 1872, was completed, furnished and dedicated February 16th, 1873; cost $4,500. Church membership, 58; on probation, 9. Condition of the church at this time was spiritually low; prayer and class meetings neglected. Rev. Jason L. Paine took charge in October 1873, and soon after increased interest was manifest in the society. Rev. John Dolph in charge from September 1875 to 1878. During this term a revival occurred in the community, and twenty-nine members were added to the church. Rev. Geo. W. Pratt served as pastor three years, and thirty-eight members were received in 1879. Present pastor, 1882, Rev. H.E. Warner.
The First Congregational Church of Postville, was organized April 5, 1856, by Samuel Russell and Lucy P. Russell, of Second Congregational Church, Rockford, Ill. John Moir and Deborah, his wife, and Geo. Kerr, of the Congregational Church, of Roscoe, Ill., with Mrs. Anna Orr, of the Presbyterian Church of Tyrone, N.Y. John Moir was chosen deacon and S.J. Russell, scribe. Rev. D.B. Davidson, of Monona, Iowa, was engaged to preach alternate Sundays, and the Lord's Supper was celebrated. Afterward, worship was held in the old Post dwelling, the house of Mr. Russell, the school house at Springfield, and the school house in the village as soon as completed, which was in 1858--members were received from time to time, and on March 9, 1865, preliminary steps were taken to build a house of worship. An association was formed and incorporated, the trustees being John Moir, S.J. Russell, D. W. C. Rowley, Oliver Mackey and Geo. Kerr. At a meeting held June 9, 1865, it was resolved to build a frame edifice 36X48 feet, on lots 1 and 2, block 23, in Postville. Among the subscribers to the building fund are noticed the names of Geo. G. Greene, Wm. Green, S. Conover, E. D. Holton, Hall and W.S. Roberts, John Lawler, F.F. Elmendorff, John T. Stoneman, Samuel Merrill (since Governor of Iowa), Wm. B. Strong, J.N. Gilchrist, J.L. Dearborn, ex-Governor Wm. Bross, of Chicago, Illinois. The church was finished and dedicated on September 12, 1867. Rev. C.R. French was supply, but the association being somewhat crippled in the expense of building, the house was rented to the M.E. Society, to April 1868, when Mr. J.L. Atkinson, of the Chicago Theological Seminary, began regular services. Church membership thirty-eight. The pastors were in succession, Rev. Wm. H. Barrows, Rev. Geo. F. Bronson, Rev. C.A. Marshall, Rev. J. A. Hoyt, Rev. L.P. Matthews. During this pastorate a revival occurred, and twenty-five members were received. Rev. Horace H. Robbins, of Muscatine, Iowa, filled the pulpit from July 1, 1878, to May 1, 1880. During this pastor's term thirty-three members were added--the house of worship repaired, a lecture room built, grounds fenced and other improvements made. Rev. A.S. Houston, of Denmark, Iowa, a vacation term of four months--Rev. C.S. Newhall, to June 25, 1882. Rev. A.F. Loomis, of Dixon, Illinois, present supply.
The Free-Will Baptist Society was organized in 1865. A house of worship was built in 1866; dedicated in 1867. The principal workers were Martin Boardman, H.B. Hazelton, Jonathan Ellis and Geo. W. Hanks. Rev. N.R. George was first pastor.
Services were kept up, with some omissions, to 1880, and after some efforts to recuperate; it was decided to sell the property with the house of worship to the school district of Postville, which was accomplished in May 1882.
United Brethren.--A Society of United Brethren was organized in 1868, and a house of worship built in 1869 at the center of the northwest quarter of section 23, of wood frame, well finished, called "Bethel Church." Services are held continually; membership not large.
German Lutheran. --This society was formed in the spring of 1872, and a house of worship built by subscription in the same year. The principal workers were Conrad Thoma, Jacob Leni, E. Rucktassel, Fred. Thoma, Carl Schultz, Leithod Bros. and Carl Knodt. The first pastor was Andrew Johnson, a German. Services have been held irregularly, and a school in German kept by some of the pastors. The society was incorporated January 16th, 1880; R.A.T. Meyer, secretary. Membership in 1880: Church, 25; Association, 48; total, 73. Membership in 1882: Church, 67; Association, 57; total, 124.
Catholic.--A house of worship was built in 1872 at a cost of $2,500; size, 34X60 feet; wood. It is but little used.
The Postville Review was established, as its first number indicates, March 19th, 1873, by F.M. McCormack, a typo of Decorah, Iowa. The paper took good rank from the start; Republican in politics, with an independent turn. It was sold to W.N. Burdick, late of the Cresco (Iowa) Times. The Review has a large and wide circulation, and seems a permanent fixture in Postville.
The District Post is the title of a new paper started August 17, 1882, by M.C. Mead, late of the Holland Gazette, (Grundy County, Iowa,) and is devoted to the interest of the Greenbackers.
T.C. Ransom, a native of Hartland, Conn., removed from Hardin, Iowa, where he had practiced some years, to Postville, and opened his office May 9th, 1868. Removed to Forest City, Iowa, in October, in 1870.
Simeon S. Powers, a native of Chautauqua County, New York, also removed his office here from Hardin, Iowa, and formed a partnership with T.C. Ransom in May 1870. He still continues business; has built up an extensive practice, has lately taken his son, L.M. Powers, as a partner, who with a copy clerk are all busily employed.
Burling & Stowe. Fred S. Burling and Herman A. Stowe came from West Union, Iowa, locating in Postville, July 10th, 1872. They have succeeded in building a fair practice on a good foundation.
Hon. John T. Clark, one of Allamakee County's warhorses in law, established an office in Postville in 1880. Does a good business, and is the principal Justice of the Peace in this locality.
Luther Brown, a hospital steward of the regular army and, graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ills., located in Postville in May, 1866. He has a large and lucrative practice. Was a member of the lower house of the 16th General Assembly, Ia., in 1876.
John S. Green came from Hardin, Iowa, where he had praticed since 1854, locating in Postville in March 1867. Has a large practice. His son, J.E. Green, graduate of Iowa Medical College has lately begun business in company with the father.
John Shepherd, an apothecary of training in Scotland, graduate of Iowa City Medical College, began practice in Postville--Still practices.
Others of the profession have temporarily practiced in Postville. Mention might be made of the names of some: S. Riddle, in 1858 to '62; Linert, 1864-65; W.Y. Boughton, 1874; B.E. Brockhansen, 1873 and '74; J. Hanson, 1880-'81.
OTHER VILLAGES IN THE TOWNSHIP.
Lybrand.--This place was originally settled by Jacob Lybrand, and a plat of a few acres laid out, and a post office established in 1851, and was in 1853 quite a village. Mr. Lybrand kept a good stock of goods, as did Hiram Jones in 1853 and '54. There were milliner stores, boot and shoe stores. John D. Cooper came in 1854, and started to build a hotel of stone, of large proportions, which was but half finished, when sold to Elisha Harris in the fall of 1854, who made a farm of the whole Lybrand property; completely absorbing the last in 1856. Since then shops and stores have become barns and sheds, for produce and farm stock. The "Great Hotel" finished by Mr. Harris, was totally destroyed by a tornado, Sept. 21st, 1881.
Myron. --The village of Myron, so named for F. Myron Swartz, son of P.F. Swartz, the first settler, was begun at the time of the removal of the Lybrand post office, when Elisha Harris resigned as postmaster. It was then removed to Mr. Swartz's house and P.F. Swartz appointed postmaster of Myron, in 1869. R.T. Burnham moved his flouring mill from Hardin to Myron in 1865. S.F. Goodykoontz, of Waukon, purchased half the property in 1866, and had a plat laid out near the center of section 3. D.D. Hendricks started a store in 1867. Some building was done, a few dwellings put up, but the trade is dull, the mill only doing any business. The excellent waterpower here should be an inducement to further enterprise.
Cleveland was started in 1856, near the southeast corner of section 1, but lived only a few years. Jas. Arnold and P.M. Gilson were the original proprietors.
This band was organized in May 1873. The instruments were purchased by a subscription of citizens and distributed to members as follows:
James Perry, leader, E.b.cornet; Joseph B. Reed, 2d E.b. cornet; S.S.Powers, B.b. cornet; J.V.Allen, 2d Bb cornet; H.E. Babcock, E.b. alto; A.W. McDoneld, 2d E.b. alto; H.P. Dawes, B.b. tenor; E.D. Stiles, 2d B.b. tenor; A.R. Prescott, baritone; T.H. Symms, tuba; J.W. Sheehy, snare drum; Joe C. Dow, bass drum and cymbals.
In the course of a few years many changes had taken place, by removals mostly, and in 1880 a re-organization was necessary. The present esprit du corps may be mentioned as:
D.E. Harrington, E.b. cornet and leader; E.H. Putnam, 2d E.b. cornet; L.M. Powers, B.b. cornet; Stephen Spoo, 2d B.b. cornet; J.A. Enke, E.b. alto solo; P. Deitzler, E.b. alto; Joe Bencher, 2d E.b. alto; A.C. Tatro, B.b. tenor; Jacob Meyer, 2d B.b. tenor; Joseph Nicholai, baritone; G. Staadt, tuba; J.W. Sheehy, snare drum; J.K. Phillips, bass drum.
They are well uniformed, and are prepared to compete with any band in the State.
Company D, 4th Regiment I.N.G. was enrolled March 16th, 1880. Mustered into service by Capt. E.B. Bascomb, of Lansing, Iowa, the same day. An election for officers was immediately held, and James Perry elected Captain; A.R. Prescott, 1st Lieut; Joseph B. Reed, 2d Lieut.
H.P. Dawes was 1st Sergt.; Loren M. Powers, 2d Sergt; J.J. Beedy, 3d Sergt.; Arthur F. Marston, 4th Sergt.; *Ed. H. Putman, 5th Sergt.; Wm F. Owen, 1st Corporal; Frank Orr, 2d Corporal; Elbert D. Stiles, 3d Corporal; D. Henry Laughlin, 4th Corporal.
Musicians--*Dennis Hardin, Jas. Sheehy.
Privates--Joseph Anderson, George Bellows, C.J. Bishop, J. Cole, Edgar Clough, James Doyle, Chas. Gordon, John H. Griffin, Ben.S. Gulic, Fred E. Haines, James Hogan, John McGhee, James McGhee, Chas. T. Makepeace, George McWilliams, Dennis Murphy, Lyman Newton, John O'Brien, Darius Orr, Ellison Orr, Lyman Patterson, John K. Phillips, Timothy Perry, Fred Rathman, John Redhead, Lincoln Redhead, Henry J. Reusch, John S. Roll, James T. Shepherd, Wm. Shepherd, Stephen Spoo, *Alonzo L. Stiles, Lamotte Taylor, Otis VanVelzer, Hugh Wheeler, N.E. Wells, Geo.W. White, Henry Wells.
Elijah Stevenson, '49 to '51. James Stevenson '51 to 53. Josiah D. Reed, '53 to '56. Emery Higbey, '56 to '59. H.B. Hazelton, '59 to '63. G.F. Webster, '63 to '65. Warren Stiles, Sept. 2, '65, to June 30, '66. John Moir, Jr., July 1st, '66, to Dec. 31, '77. A.R. Prescott from Jan. 1, 1878. Money order office since 1870.
A.F.& A.M.--Lodge designated "Brotherly Love", No. 204; Chartered in June, 1866. First W.M., G.F. Webster. Present W.M., S.S Powers. Membership, 43.
I.O.O.F.--Lodge designated "Postville," No. 266. Instituted December, 1873. H.P. Dawes first N.G. Present N.G., Jacob Meyer. Membership, 39.
A.O.U.W.--Chartered and designated "Noble," No. 51, of Iowa. Present M.W., T.B. Easton. Membership, 28.
Eclipse No. 96, Iowa Legion of Honor.--Chartered 1879. Present membership, 25. Hall Roberts, president.
Post Collegium, No. 52, V.A.S. Fraternity.--Instituted May 1882. H.A. Stowe, rector. Membership, 33. James Perry, scribe.
POSTVILLE BUSINESS DIRECTORY, 1882.
Mayor, Norman J. Beedy; Recorder, B.F. Taylor.
Attorneys: Burling & Stowe, John T. Clark, S.S. Powers.
Insurance Agents: F.S. Burling, H. Dawes, O.E. Omley, S.S. Powers.
Postmaster, Alva R. Prescott.
Agent C., M. & St.P.R.R., James F. Wilson.
Agent B., C. R. & N.R.R., James Perry.
Newspapers, Postville Review, District Post.
Jewelers--J.H. Gray, J. Glines
Hardware and tinware--Matthew Beucher, Mott & McAdam, H. Stone.
Drugs, medicines and books--Bayless, Douglass & Co., Anton Staadt.
Restaurants--Edward Sheehy, John Thoma.
Wagon makers--Meyer & Hecker.
Agricultural implements--C.A. Leithoid, Kemmerer, Lamb & Co.
Pumps and windmills--A.F. Marston.
Carpenters--C.P. Darling, H.P. Dawes, T.M. Miller, J.W. Sheehy, H.B. Taylor, E.E. Wilson.
Hotels--"Commercial," J.M. Lisher; "Burlington," Burhans Bros.
Painters--J.B. Reed, E.H. Putnam, Taylor, Phillip Deitzler.
Cornet Band--D'Estaing Harrington, Leader; Gottfried, Staadt Secretary.
General merchandise--John A. Finney, Luhman & Sanders, F. W. Roberts, Skelton & McEwen, Ward & Meyer.
Fruit and confectionery--Peter Miller, John Moir, Jr.
Blacksmiths--Myer & Hecker, E. Parsons, G.W. Stafford.
Shoemakers--Wm. Grans, J.B. Schmidt, A. Stockman.
Cabinet makers and furniture dealers--T.B. Easton, August Koevening, A.W. McDaneld.
Machine and repair shop--Dresser & Fairchild.
Harness makers--J.A. Euke, H.W. Meyer.
Milliners and dressmakers--Canfield & Jones, Duff & Cross, Viola Hunter.
Company D, 4th Regiment, I.N.G.--James Perry, Captain.
Return to index of
Go to Allamakee Co. index page