Aaron V. Palmer
One of the highly successful farmers and stockmen of Allamakee
county is Aaron V. Palmer, who owns and operates the Orchard Hill
Farm, comprising two hundred and forty acres of valuable land on
section 27, Jefferson township. He is numbered among the early
settlers in Iowa, his residence in the state dating from 1863,
while he has made his home in this township since 1893. He was
born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, May 23, 1851, and is a son
of John Palmer, who was born in New York state, February 12,
1830. As a young man the father moved to Pennsylvania, where for
a number of years he engaged in the manufacture of shingles,
being a cooper by trade. In Crawford county, that state, he
married Miss Sophrona J. Coon, a native of Pennsylvania, and two
of their sons were born there. In 1853 the family moved to
Wisconsin and located in Marquette county, where the father
purchased a tract of land, which he cleared of timber, and
grubbing up the stumps opened a new farm. For ten years
thereafter he developed and improved this property, but in 1863
moved to Iowa, where he located in the vicinity of Elkader, where
he farmed and followed the coopers trade. He died in
Rossville, October 10, 1909, having survived his wife since 1892.
Aaron V. Palmer was twelve years of age when his parents moved to Elkader, and he attended the public schools in that city. His advantages, however, along this line were limited and he is largely self-educated, having made up for his early deficiencies by study and reading in later years. For a time he worked upon a farm and also as stage driver between Postville and Elkader and on other routes. He later turned his attention to the livery business, establishing an enterprise of this kind in Waukon. He remained in that city for a time and then returned to Elkader, where he resumed his livery business, continuing at it until 1893. He had previous to this time bought a farm of two hundred acres on section 27, Jefferson township, and upon this farm property he then located, turning his attention to its improvement and cultivation. He has since added forty acres to his holdings and the Orchard Hill Farm is today a large and well managed enterprise, reflecting everywhere the owners careful supervision and practical labor. One hundred acres are in hay and grain and the rest affords pasture for Mr. Palmers fine herd of cattle and he Shorpshire sheep. He is a stock breeder on an extensive scale, raising also a good grade of Poland China hogs. In addition to this he keeps milch chows and operates a modern and sanitary dairy, a branch of his business which, like all the others, is important and profitable. Upon his farm Mr. Palmer has made extensive and substantial improvements, including a comfortable residence and a fine barn, in which there is room for twenty-four horses and thirty cows, and which is provided with a loft where fifty tons of hay may be kept. Mr. Palmer is a fruit grower, also, and has a fine orchard of selected fruits, with one hundred bearing trees. His business interests are all carefully conducted along progressive lines and his success has come as the result of sound judgment, keen discrimination and well directed labor.
On the 24th of August, 1875, in Waukon, Mr. Palmer was united in marriage to Miss Emma Niblock, who was born and reared in Allamkee county, a daughter of William Niblock, who came to Wisconsin to this part of Iowa in 1851 and is numbered among the earliest settlers. Mr. And Mrs. Palmer became the parents of nine children; Emmett Leroy, who is engaged in farming in Franklin township; Fred Carl, who lives at home; James Raymond; Charles, who is engaged in teaching; Merton R., who is assisting in the operation of the homestead; Sophrona Jane, the wife of I. E. Woodmanse, of Waukon; Maggie, who married Alden Mosier, a farmer of Jefferson township; Bessie, the wife of Ora Mitchell, a farmer of Jefferson township; and Doris Etta, who s still at school.
Mr. Palmer is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Rossville and belongs to the Fraternal Brethren. He is a devout member of the Baptist church and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He served on the school board in this township for a number of years and for eight years as school director in Elkader. Ambition, energy and perseverance are his most prominent characteristics and they have brought him recognition as one of the successful farmers and prosperous stock-raisers of Jefferson township.
-source: Past & Present of Allamakee County; by
Ellery M. Hancock; S. J. Clarke Pub. Co.; 1913
-transcribed by Diana Diedrich
Return to 1913 biographies index