Henry C. Meyer
One of the most active, progressive and successful farmers in
the vicinity of Postville is Henry C. Meyer, who since 1901 has
owned and operated a fine property of one hundred and
thirty-eight acres, eighty rods beyond the corporation limits.
The land lies party in Clayton and party in Allamakee counties
and is a well improved and valuable property, reflecting in its
neat and attractive appearance the careful supervision and
careful methods of the owner.
Mr. Meyer is a native of Iowa, born in Fayette county, November 5, 1878, a son of William and Louisa (Meyer) Meyer, natives of Hanover, Germany. As a young man the father crossed the Atlantic to America and, coming immediately to Iowa, located at Guttenberg, Clayton county, where he worked at farming in the employ of others for some time, later removing to Garnavillo in the same county and then to National. He there married, and afterward farmed as a renter for a number of years, removing eventually to Fayette county and purchasing land. Upon that farm he still resides and is active in its cultivation, being the owner of one hundred and sixty acres, substantially improved and well equipped. He and his wife had nine children, two of whom died in infancy. The others are:
Minnie, who married Fred H. Brandt, a farmer in Clayton county; William A., a farmer near Castalia, Caroline, the wife of John C. Weike, who is engaged in farming in Grand Meadows township, Clayton county; Henry C., of this review; Anna, who married Fred Kuhse, a farmer in Grand Meadows township, Clayton county; Charley, who resides with his parents; and Bertha, who married Charles H. Schroeder, a resident of Fayette county.
In the acquirement of an education Henry C. Meyer attended the old Henderson Prairie school, named in honor of David B. Henderson, who was a pupil there, and he supplemented this by four months in the German Lutheran school. Until he was twenty-two years of age he remained upon the homestead, assisting his father in its operation, but, March 21, 1901, he purchased land of his own, upon which he has resided since that time. He bought one hundred and thirty-eight acres, eighty rods beyond the corporation limits of Postville, the land lying in Clayton and Allamakee counties, and upon this he has steadily carried forward the work of improvement, erecting modern buildings and installing fine farm machinery. Success has attended his well directed efforts in the cultivation of his
land, for his methods are always practical and modern and, therefore, productive of excellent results. The farm is today one of the finest in this part of the state and its owner is counted among Allamakee countys progressive and substantial agriculturists. He is a stockholder in the Postville Canning Company and in the Cooperative Creamery Company and his business interests are carefully managed and always profitable.
One the 21st of March, 1901, Mr. Meyer was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Krambeer, who was born in Reed township, Clayton county, December 6 1881, a daughter of John and Ida (Harnack) Krambeer. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer became the parents of four children: Ethel, who was born January 12, 1902 and, who on the 7th of January, 1910, was killed by a train on the railroad crossing near her home; Lawrence, born March 16,1903; Hilda, born February 17, 1905; and Amy, whose birth occurred on the 21st of November, 1909.
Mr. Meyer is a member of the German Lutheran church and politically, gives a general allegiance to the democratic party, voting independently, however, when he deems the best interest of the community require such action. He is not active as an office seeker, but is interested in school affairs and is at present acting as secretary of his school district. He is progressive and public spirited, never withholding his ready and hearty cooperation from movements to promote the general advancement and development and, by his industrious and upright life, has made his name honored and respected in the community where he makes his home.
-source: Past & Present of Allamakee County; by
Ellery M. Hancock; S. J. Clarke Pub. Co.; 1913
-transcribed by Diana Diedrich
Return to 1913 biographies index