Members of the Larson family have indeed reason to feel proud
of the family history, for representatives of the name have been
most loyal to all the principles of honorable manhood and
citizenship. Ole Larson, the founder of the family in Allamakee
county, had eleven sons and daughters, who spent their childhood
in Taylor township. Those who grew to maturity proved in later
years their worth in various localities in different walks of
life. Of this number was Stener, call Stanley Larson, the third
child in his fathers family. He was born at Rotnem, Gol,
Hallingdal, Norway, December 4, 1842, and was the third child of
Mr. and Mrs. Ole Larson, whose emigration to America in 1849 was
followed by removal from Wisconsin to Iowa in the spring of 1850.
Upon the old homestead farm on section 17, Taylor township, Stanley Larson grew to manhood with the usual experiences that fall to the farm lad, his time being divided between the acquirement of an education in the district schools and the work of the fields. He continued to assist his father until he was about twenty-one years of age, when he turned his attention to the insurance business and in connection therewith removed to the west. In 1879 he became a resident of Saline county, Nebraska, locating at Friend, where he conducted a general merchandise store for several years. At length, however, he tired of the business and, having in the meantime saved considerable money, he removed to Tobias, Nebraska, in 1884, and there established the Peoples Bank. For twenty years he was at the head of that banking institution and in that time became acquainted with and was known to nearly every person in his section of the state. About two years prior to his demise he disposed of his interests in Nebraska and because of his health removed to Boise, Idaho, hoping to be benefited thereby. He held extensive interests in several mining properties in that state and was also financially connected with numerous industries. Still seek health, he went to Pendleton, Oregon, but the change did not bring the benefit that he desired and on the 7th of June, 1906, he departed this life, his remains being returned to Saline county, Nebraska, for interment in the J. V. Ainsworth lot in the Tobias cemetery.
He was spoken of in terms of highest praise and warm regard by all who knew him, and it is said that he never turned a deft ear to the appeal of the needy and that no one ever left his door hungry. He was a member of the Presbyterian church but displayed no narrow denomination spirit. No good work done in the name of charity or religion sought his aid in vain. He was always among the foremost in the support of any good cause and he gave most liberally of his means to any worthy project tending to the moral development of the community. He was for several years prominently connected with Sunday school work and did much to further that branch of Christian activity. Thus he left behind him a good name which is rather to be chosen than great riches. He was also a most earnest advocate of the temperance cause and at one time was prohibition candidate for secretary of state of Nebraska. It seemed that on one need ever question his position, it was a foregone conclusion that he was to be found on the side of right, truth and justice.
-source: Past & Present of Allamakee County; by
Ellery M. Hancock; S. J. Clarke Pub. Co.; 1913
-transcribed by Diana Diedrich
Return to 1913 biographies index