Arthur A. Jones
Arthur A. Jones, a worthy representative of one of the honored
pioneer families of Allamakee county, is the owner of a well
improved farm of one hundred and eighty acres on section 9,
Franklin township. His birth occurred in Makee township, this
county, on the 30th of July, 1868, his parents being Charles and
Elizabeth (Lane) Jones. The father was born in England in 1832,
while the mothers birth occurred in Pennsylvania in 1836.
When a young man Charles Jones crossed the Atlantic to the United
States, first locating in New York and working on the canal.
Subsequently he made his way westward and for a number of years
sailed on the Mississippi river. In 1852 he came to Iowa and in
1854 entered a tract of land just north of Waukon, the district
being then a wilderness. After residing there for a number of
years he moved into Franklin township and here purchased another
tract of land, retaining possession of his original home place,
however, until 1893, when he disposed of the property. He
remained a resident of Franklin township until his death in 1898,
when the community lost one of its esteemed pioneer settlers and
representative agriculturists. He held various township offices
and ever discharged the duties devolving upon him in a prompt and
able manner. His widow is still living and resides in Franklin
township with her sons.
Arthur. A. Jones, the seventh in order of birth in a family of twelve children, began his education in Makee township and later entered the Red schoolhouse, a district school. After putting aside his text-books he assisted his father in the operation of the home farm and also worked for others at intervals. When a young man of twenty-two he secured employment as a stonecutter in the quarries of Clayton county and worked therein for about ten years. During this period he acquired sufficient capital to invest in land, and while working at the stonecutting trade also devoted some attention to farming. He now gives his entire time to the operation of his farm of one hundred and eighty acres in the Yellow river valley of Franklin township, carrying on general agricultural pursuits with gratifying results. In 1911 there was raised a crop of corn yielding one hundred and seventeen and a half bushels to the acre. That he keeps in touch with the modern spirit of progress which is manifested in agricultural lines and that his knowledge of farming is both thorough and comprehensive is indicated by the highly improved appearance of his place, upon which are found substantial buildings and all of the modern accessories necessary for facilitating farm labor.
On the 13th of November, 1895, Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Nannie B. McShane, who was born in Franklin township on the 11th of March, 1869, her parents being Cornelius and Margaret (Durr) McShane, the former a native of Monongalia county, West Virginia, and the latter of Greene county, Pennsylvania. Cornelius McShane followed general agricultural pursuits throughout his active business career. In 1851 or 1852 he came to Iowa, acquiring and locating on a tract of land in Linton township, Allamakee county. About two years later he took up his abode in Franklin township and there spent the remainder of his life, passing away on the 7th of February, 1907. His wife was called to her final rest on the 29th of January, 1905. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Jones have been born six children, as follows: Nellie Fern, Lottie Grace, Charles Samuel, Ethyl Gladys, Stella and one who died in infancy.
In politics Mr. Jones is independent, supporting men and measures rather than party. He has served as a school director for his district and has manifested his public-spirited citizenship in many other ways. He has been identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows since twenty-two years of age and also belongs to the Modern Brotherhood of America. Mr. and Mrs. Jones enjoy the warm esteem and friendship of many with whom they have come in contact and the hospitality of the best homes of the locality is cordially extended them.
-source: Past & Present of Allamakee County; by
Ellery M. Hancock; S. J. Clarke Pub. Co.; 1913
-transcribed by Linda Earnheart
Return to index