John Hendrickson needs no introduction to the readers of the history of Allamakee county for he is a representative of one of the pioneer families of this section and is, moreover, a leading and prosperous farmer of Paint Creek township, where he owns two hundred acres of valuable land. He was born upon this farm in 1879 and is a son of Solva Hendrickson and a grandson of Hendrick Solveson, pioneers in this part of Iowa, of whom more extended mention is made elsewhere in this work in connection with the sketch of H. A. Hendrickson. The father purchased the land known as the old Bryson farm in 1885 and this property has remained in possession of members of the family since that time. John Hendrickson is one of a family of five children, as follows: Randy, the wife of Albert Syverud, of Canton, South Dakota; Mrs. George Thompson, of Paint Creek township; Anna, who resides with her brother; Celia, who married Ed Whotom of Canton, South Dakota; and John, of this review.
John Hendrickson acquired his education in the district schools of Paint Creek township and from an early age assisted with the work of the home farm, becoming before he was twenty-one an able and practical agriculturist. He owns today two hundred acres of fine land on section 18 and upon this carries on general farming and dairying, both branches of his business being profitable and important under his able management. He is unmarried and makes his home with his sister Anna, who is a capable and efficient housekeeper.
Mr. Hendrickson is well known in Allamakee county and is today numbered among the men who have been potent forces in the later agricultural development of Paint Creek township. He is a successful farmer, a progressive, enterprising and loyal citizen, and his record is a credit to a name that has long been honored in this vicinity.
-source: Past & Present of Allamakee County; by
Ellery M. Hancock; S. J. Clarke Pub. Co.; 1913
-transcribed by Jan Miller
Return to 1913 biographies index