Henry A. Hendrickson
The name of Hendrickson is well known and highly honored in Allamakee county, for it has been borne by men active in the agricultural development of this section of Iowa since pioneer times. Its present representative, Henry A. Hendrickson, is one of the most successful and prosperous farmers of Paint Creek township, where he owns and operates the farm of one hundred and seventy-six acres upon which he was born September 8, 1867. He is a son of Aslag Hendrickson, who was born in Ness Hallingdal, Norway, and who, when he was four years of age was brought to America by his parents. The family located first in Rock county, Wisconsin, and in 1850 removed to Allamakee county, Iowa, settling upon the farm where the subject of this review now resides. The grandfather, Hendrick Solverson, built a log house upon the farm and continued to develop and improve the property until 1869, when he moved to Estherville, Iowa, where his death occurred. His wife, who was in her maidenhood Miss Carrie Opheim, returned to the old homestead and there passed away.
Their son Aslag Hendrickson grew to manhood upon his father's farm, inheriting the homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, and upon it he spent the best and most forceful years of his life, building upon it the second log house, which still stands as a part of the present home. He married Elizabeth Seim, a native of Norway, who came to the United States with her parents, Lars and Bertha (Dahle) Seim, both of whom have passed away. Aslag Hendrickson died upon his farm on the 16th of August, 1912, and his wife survives him, making her home with the subject of this review. In their family were nine children: Henry A.; Caroline, who died at the age of eighteen years; Ludvig, a resident of Britt, Iowa; Albert, who makes his home in Waterville; Bertha, a resident of Roundup, Montana; Victoria, deceased; Anton, who makes his home in Canton, South Dakota; Elmer, a resident of the same city; and Mrs. S. V. Glenn, of Lansing, Iowa.
In the acquirement of an education Henry A. Hendrickson attended district school and afterward studied for two years in Augustana College, Canton, South Dakota, supplementing this by a one year's course in Breckenridge College at Decorah, Iowa. Upon the death of his father he came into possession of the old homestead, owning today one hundred and seventy-six acres on section 14, Paint Creek township. This is an excellent and well improved property, reflecting everywhere the owner’s careful supervision and practical methods, and upon it Mr. Hendrickson engages in general farming and stock-raising, making a specialty of breeding and raising Poland China hogs, his animals commanding a high price and a ready sale on the local market.
Mr. Hendrickson was married in Allamakee county to Miss Caroline Tysland, a daughter of Andrew and Karen (Frok) Tysland, natives of Norway, who came to the United States in 1865. The father is now a well-known blacksmith at Waterville, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Hendrickson became the parents of four children: Esther Claudia, deceased; and Esther Claudia, Abner Alexander and Adeline Victoria, all at home.
Mr. Hendrickson is widely and favorably known in this section of Iowa, where his entire life has been passed, for he is reliable in business and progressive in citizenship and his record is a credit to a name that has been a synonym for integrity and industry since pioneer times.
-source: Past & Present of Allamakee County; by
Ellery M. Hancock; S. J. Clarke Pub. Co.; 1913
-transcribed by Jan Miller
Return to 1913 biographies index