Peter P. Hefner
A valuable stock farm of two hundred and nineteen acres in
Linton and Franklin townships, located in the Yellow river
valley, stands as a monument to the labors of Peter P. Hefner, a
native of Linton township, where he was born May 30, 1870. He is
a son of Peter and Emilie (Soler) Hefner, both natives of
Bavaria, Germany, where they were born. They crossed the ocean
and came to the middle west about 1857, making their home near
McGregor for one year. They then bought a farm in Linton
township, where they resided for a number of years, subsequently
removing to the farm upon which our subject now resides. Both
parents there passed away. The father died on May 30, 1888, and
the mother about fifteen years later, in October, 1903. While yet
in Germany the father served in the regular army, wearing the
two-colored cloth, as all German citizens are compelled to do.
Although he was prominent in his community, he never aspired to
public office, preferring to use his influence for good in a
Peter P. Hefner, of this review, is the seventh in a family of eight children. He attended district school in Linton township and since seventeen years of age has been independent. At first he rented part of the homestead and looked after the estate for his mother until twenty-one years of age, when he bought the property. Here he has continued ever since with increasing success and now has two hundred and nineteen acres in the Yellow river valley, part of his land running into Franklin township. His farm is mostly devoted to stock-raising and he gives particular attention to high-grade Durham cattle, although he also raises hogs and horses. As the result of his ability and his determined efforts he has become one of the substantial men of his neighborhood. He is a stockholder in the Monona Creamery Company and also profits by his membership in the Farmers Shipping Association of that place.
On March 28, 1893, Mr. Hefner married Miss Edna Stafford, oldest child of Seth N. Stafford, a prominent farmer of Franklin township, by his first wife, who before her marriage was Miss Mary White, the ceremony taking place on February 25, 1873. Her mother passed away in 1876, and the father, subsequently married Miss Betty C. Entwisle, by whom he had seven children. Mrs. Hefner also has one brother, David E., who resides on the Stafford home farm, making his home with his father. Mr. and Mrs. Hefner have five children: Ezra Muriel and Hazel Pearl, twins, born March 21, 1894; Elmer Gerald, born October 24, 1897; Leo Wayne, whose birth occurred August 21, 1899; and Clara Elfrieda, born August 24, 1902. All of the children are yet at home. Mr. and Mrs. Hefner are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, in the work of which they take an active and helpful interest.
Politically Mr. Hefner is a democrat but has never aspired to office. He is, however, intensely interested in all that affects his locality and is ever ready to place his influence and means at the disposal of the public when worthy objects are to be obtained. Fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging to Rossville Lodge, No. 172, and also belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America at Rossville. He is popular in these organizations, in which he has many friends. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hefner are widely and favorable known in Allamakee county and particularly in their neighborhood and are most highly esteemed by those who know them best and are most appreciative of their high qualities of mind and character.
-source: Past & Present of Allamakee County; by
Ellery M. Hancock; S. J. Clarke Pub. Co.; 1913
-transcribed by Diana Diedrich
Return to 1913 biographies index