Edward G. Hagen
Edward G. Hagen, who owns and operates a farm of one hundred and forty- four acres on section 19, Paint Creek township, has to his credit a military record covering nine years' service and including participation in the Spanish-American war. He is numbered among the worthy native sons of Allamakee county, his birth having occurred in Paint Creek township on the 31st of May, 1865. His parents were Gilbert and Agnette (Coldor) Hagen, more extended mention of whom is made on another page of this work in connection with the sketch of Peter G. Hagen, a brother of our subject. His early education, obtained in the district schools, was supplemented by a course of study at Luther College of Decorah, Iowa. When twenty-one years of age he made his way to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, there securing employment as clerk in a country store. A year later his employer sold out and went to Tacoma, Washington, being accompanied by Mr. Hagen, who worked for a short time in the store which the former there purchased. Subsequently Mr. Hagen was engaged in the manufacture of tents, sails, awnings, etc., until eastern competition and improved machinery obliged him to abandon the enterprise.
On the 19th of December, 1895, he joined the United States army, becoming a member of Troop F, Fourth United States Cavalry, and spending three years at Boise Barracks, Idaho. He then reenlisted and went to the Philippine Islands, there participating in the following battles: Markeno Road, August 12, 1899; San Isidro, October 19, 1899; Aragat, October 12, 1899; Bangabon, November, 1899; Cebul, December 10, 1899; and Biacnabato, December 12, 1899. The period of his service in the Philippines extended from July 25, 1899, to August 28, 1901. Returning to the United States, he was located at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, until finally discharged at the end of nine years' service. He enlisted as a private, was made corporal on the 5th of June, 1899, promoted to the rank of sergeant on the 31st of October, 1900, and became quartermaster sergeant in 1901.
On leaving the army Mr. Hagen entered the service of the Occidental Land & Improvement Company and remained with that concern for seven or eight years, becoming foreman on their ranch and later foreman of warehouses. He was next engaged in the butchering business for two years and on the expiration of that period spent a few more months in the employ of the Occidental Land & Improvement Company. In August, 1912, he returned to Allamakee county and the following month purchased one hundred and forty-four acres of land on section 19, Paint Creek township, taking possession thereof in March, 1913. In the work of the fields he is meeting with success, raising the cereals best adapted to soil and climate. Throughout his native county he is well known and highly esteemed as an enterprising agriculturist and representative citizen.
-source: Past & Present of Allamakee County; by
Ellery M. Hancock; S. J. Clarke Pub. Co.; 1913
-transcribed by Jan Miller
Return to 1913 biographies index