1882 Biographies
from the
History of Winneshiek and Allamakee Counties, Iowa
by W.E. Alexander; Western Publishing co.; Sioux City, Iowa; 1882

'P' surnames

All of the biographies in the Allamakee co. section of the book were transcribed by Roxanne Barth and Phyllis Peterson.
Some of the biographies, those with close ties to Allamakee co., but from the Winneshiek co. section of the book, have been transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall.

William W. Pardee, P.O. Rossville, proprietor of hotel; was born in Herkimer Co., N.Y., in 1817, remaining in his native Co. till after his marriage, which occurred in 1837, to Miss Mary C. Phillips, also a native of same county; moved to Rome, N.Y. in 1838, and to Crawford Co., Pa., in 1839, where he remained till in 1854 he emigrated to Dane Co., Wis., and from there to Rossville in 1862, purchasing the hotel property which he still owns. They have four children living, Bela B., Emma, Josephine, and Corlin; lost two sons, Marcus J. and William J., who lost their lives in the defense of their country during the late Rebellion. The first was a member of Co. A., 28 Wis. Infantry, and was killed at the battle of Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862; the latter was a member of Co. I., 27th Io. Infantry, and was killed at the battle of Pleasant Hill, La., April 9, 1864. pg 521

J. W. Patterson, P.O. Postville; farmer, sec. 21; owns 285 acres of land, valued at $35 per acre; was born in Morgan county, Ohio, in 1826, where he remained till the spring of 1854, when he came to this county, locating on his present farm, it then being raw land, with no markets nearer than the Mississippi River. He was married to Miss Caroline E. Patton, of Ohio, in 1849; they have five children, Olive T., Mary A., William C., Lyman L. and Cynthia J. Mr. P. is a member of the A.F. & A.M., also of the Congregational Church. pg 522

William Patterson, a native of Canada, was born in July 1843. He learned the mason trade, and in 1864 came to the U.S., first stopping in Mich., where he was married to Miss Ann Jordan. In 1865 he removed to Wisconsin, and in 1866 to Clayton Co., Iowa. Here he followed farming till 1877, at which time he came to Allamakee Co., and acted as superintendent of piling for the bridges of the W. & M. railroad. He has three children, Margaret J., Hannah H. and George. pg 520

Hon. Charles Paulk, whose portrait appears in this work, is a farmer in sec. 28, P.O. Waukon; one of the early settlers and prominent men; is a native of Vermont, and was born July 19, 1809. He was reared in St. Lawrence Co., N.Y., where he received an academic education. In 1830 he entered the freshman class of Middleburg College, Vt., and graduated in 1834. He then taught in a classical and mathematical school at Genevia, N.Y. Subsequently taught in Monroe Co., also studied law, and in 1837 was admitted to the bar. He then followed the legal profession until 1850, when he was attacked with the California gold fever, and so spent two years on the Pacific slope. On his return from California he came to Iowa and soon located where he now resides.

He was a member of the Legislature in 1860-61, again in 1863, and in the fall of 1865 was elected to the State Senate. He was married in 1841 to Miss Harriet Leach, who died in July 1856, leaving two children. In Nov., 1857, he was again married to Miss Elle Conover. Politically, he is a Democrat. pg 525, portrait pg 301

James Perry, agent B., C.R. & N. R.R. Co. at Postville, was born at Manchester, England, in 1836, his parents emigrating to the United States in 1842, locating at Milwaukee, Wis., where they remained till 1854, when they located on a farm in Waukesha County, he remaining with them till the spring of 1862, when he went to Grand Rapids, Michigan, in August of the same year enlisted in Co. A, 6th Mich. Cavalry, serving three years and participating in many battles, among which were the Battle of the Wilderness, Five Forks, Appomattox Court House, and Gettysburg. He was discharged in August, 1865, after which, during the same year, he came to Postville, Iowa, and engaged as clerk in the office of the M. & W. R.R. Company, now the C.,M.& St. P., where he remained till, in 1877, he took charge of the office of the B.O.R.& N. Railroad Company. He was married to Sophia Stephens, a native of Scotland, in 1869, and has three children, M. J., Edgar J. and J. William. Mr. P. is a member of the Masonic order, and also the A.O.U.W. pg 523

S.C. Perry, farmer, P.O. Postville; owns a farm of 215 acres valued at $30 per acre; was born in Windom County, Conn, in 1828, where he lived till 1855, when he started for the west, first stopping in Houston County, Minnesota, and came to Allamakee County in 1865. He was married to Miss Mary Tryon in 1860. She was born in Wyoming County, New York. They have four children, Timothy, Retta, Ella and Edith, and have lost two, Martha and Henry. p. 523

Holver Peterson, blacksmith, was born in Norway in 1841; learned the blacksmith's trade, and in 1869 emigrated to the U.S., first stopping at Lansing, but two months subsequently, moved to Waukon. Here he worked at his trade for C. F. Newell, until 1873, when he formed a partnership with H. Simonsen, as Simonsen & Peterson. Mr. Peterson was married in July 1869, to Miss C. Olsen. They have four children living, Willie, Adolph, Lena and Herman. pg 520

John A. Peterson, sec. 20, P.O. Elon, farmer; born January 21, 1836; emigrated to the United States in 1851, stopping at Boston, working at shoemaking during the winters and fishing for mackerel during the summer. In 1857, he came to Rock Island, Ill., about the time of the Mormon massacre at Mountain Meadow, which caused quite an excitement. The government was enlisting soldiers for the regular army, to go out there, and he enlisted in Co. D. 6th U. S. Inf., and started by overland for Utah, where they stopped for a short time, soon pushing on to Benicia Barracks, Cal., remaining but a short time, when they were ordered to Mendocino, as headquarters for scouting expeditions against the Indians. During some of those excursions, and while in battle he was severely wounded by an Indian arrow, which pierced his left breast and entered the lungs. Upon falling, he pulled the arrow from his body, the blood following in a stream. He soon became unconscious, and was picked up for dead by his comrades after the battle, but finding him yet alive, they carried him to camp, when by kind care and nursing he finally recovered. But being disabled so as to be unfit for duty, he was discharged in August 1860, at Rock Island, Ill. He then went to Chicago, where he had friends, and was married there in June, 1861, to Miss Anna S. Olson, immediately starting for Allamakee County. At first he worked at his trade, but on account of his wound he was compelled to discontinue it. He then purchased 40 acres of land and commenced farming. In the spring of 1864 he enlisted in Co. B, 27th Inf., Io. Vol., went south and participated in the battle of Tupelo, Miss., which proving too hard for him, he was sent to the hospital at Memphis, and afterwards to Jefferson Barracks, Mo., and to Davenport in May, 1864, and discharged. He then moved to Webster County, Iowa, remaining about a year, when he sold out and returned to Center Township, purchasing his present farm of 177 and one-half acres, which is now worth about $4,000. Mr. P. has served as trustee of the township, and is at present serving his 11th year as justice of the peace. His children are Matilda C., Joshua A., Joel A., Huldah E., Alma O. and Jonathan A.; he has lost two children, John A. and Ogden O. Mr. P. is a member of the Baptist Church. pg 523-524

John F. Pitt, P.O. Waukon, farmer and gardener, sec. 25; is a descendant of Sir William Pitt, and was born in Bristol, England, August 27th, 1828. His father, Richard Pitt, was foreman in a soap and candle factory at Bristol, but died when the subject of this sketch was a small boy, his mother's death having preceded the father's some years, thus leaving John F. to be cared for by his grandfather Pitt. At the early age of eight years he was apprenticed in a soap and candle factory, in which business he was engaged during his minority, and principally till 1855, when he emigrated to the U.S., locating on section 5, of Union Prairie township In 1858 he sold most of his farm, retaining only 30 acres, valued at $3,000, which he uses for gardening purposes. In 1862 Mr. P. enlisted in Co. F., 6th Iowa Cavalry, the regiment being employed in the defense of the frontier in the northwest. He participated in the battle of Whetstone Hills, against the Indians; served two years in quartermaster's department, one winter at Davenport and one in Sioux City; was discharged in 1865. Mr. P. was first married in England, to Miss Celia Parker, in 1847. She died in 1879, and he was again married to Mrs. Mary Grayson, March 28, 1880. He has one daughter by his first marriage, Elizabeth A., now Cummings. pg 521-522

Felix H. Plank, section 36, P.O. Waukon; owns a farm of 160 acres, valued at $50 per acre; son of Jacob and Elizabeth Plank; was born in Carroll Co., Indiana, in 1848; his parents came to this Co. in 1854, locating on the land upon which he now lives, his father having left the farm in 1863 and moved into Waukon, where he still resides. F. H. is one of six children, the five others being Levi W., Anna, Rena Alice, and Vashti, five having deceased--John, Daniel, Florence, Finis and Walter. F. H. was married to Miss Mary Robertson in 1874. She was born in Prince Edwards Islands. They have four children, D.G., Charles L., Lyle J., and Howard L. Mrs. P. is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mr. P. is republican in politics. pg 521

N. Plemling, dealer in clothing, boots, shoes and gent's furnishing goods, was born in Luxembourg Nov., 1854; emigrated to the U. S. in 1875; lived at LaCrosse, Wis., until July, 1876, at which time he came to Waukon and commenced as merchant tailor. In March 1879, he added a stock of clothing and continued until Sept. 1881, when he removed to his present location, added boots and shoes and carries a stock of about $13,000. He was married at LaCrosse, Wis., April 26, 1875, to Miss Mary Marson, a native of Luxumbourg. The children are Josephene, Emmel and Bertha. His religion is Roman Catholic. pg 520

H. H. Pope was born in County Waterford, Ireland, in 1833. When he was a young man he took charge of a vessel belonging to his father. During his term of office he visited all the prominent seaports of Europe. The vessel of which he was in charge was lost near the island of Anticosta in St. Lawrence River. He then went back to Ireland, stayed a year and a half, and in 1852 came to America and settled in Allamakee County. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. K, 5th Io. Vol., remained in the service a year and three months, and was discharged on account of an old gunshot wound received in Italy in 1848; returned to this county and was engaged in carriage painting. In 1880 he went back to Ireland to settle the estate of his father. He now owns a large farm near Village Creek, devoted to raising fine stock. He married Narsessia Thompson in 1864. They have four children, Elizabeth, Thomas, Phillip and Frederick. pg 525-526

Zeruih Post, a native of Jefferson Co., N.Y., was born in 1807. Her maiden name was Stevenson. She was married to Joel N. Post in 1831; he was a native of Vt. In 1836 they immigrated to Green Bay, Wis., remaining there till the summer of 1838, when they again started westward in a canoe down the Wisconsin River, being two weeks before they landed at Prairie du Chien. They located in Clayton Co., Io. In 1840 Mr. Post was selected by Gen. Brooks to take charge of a station known as the Half-Way House, on the military road between Prairie du Chien and Fort Atkinson, they first locating about one mile east from where she now lives. Subsequently Gen. Sumner granted them a permit to relocate where the town of Postville now stands. At that time their nearest neighbor was twelve miles east, where the town of Monona now stands, Fort Atkinson being 24 miles west, that being the place where the Indians received their supplies from the Government. Their only neighbors from 1840 to 1848 were the Indians, who were removed during the latter year. In 1849 the post office was established and called Postville, Mr. Post being commissioned as postmaster, but before the commission arrived Mr. Post died, leaving the duties of the post office to Mrs. Post's brother. After the death of her husband Mrs. Post purchased from the Government 480 acres of land, the same being the land upon which they had located and partly improved, the town of Postville being located upon part of it. Mrs. Post has five children living: Joel N., now in Dakota; Mary Switzer, now in California; Margaret Sherwood, now in Minnesota; Lydia LaCook, in Colorado, and Lucy Roll, of Postville, but soon to leave for Montana. She lost one son, John S., who died while in the service of his country during the late rebellion. pg 522

James Powers, of the firm of P. B. Manning & Co., dealers in agricultural implements, was born in Ireland in 1847, came to America in 1849 with his parents, and settled in Kentucky, where they remained seven years, and then came to Taylor township, this Co., where the subject of this sketch was raised. He was married to Catharine Collins, a native of N. H.; they have three children, John, Edmund and Mary. pg 525

S. S. Powers, attorney, Postville; born in the state of New York in 1836; commenced the study of law under the Hon. W. L. Sessions, of Chautauqua County, N.Y., in 1857, and afterwards attended the Cleveland Law School, where he graduated in 1860, and the same year moved to Newton County, Ind., commencing the practice of his profession. In 1862 he came to Clayton Co., Io., and the following year to Hardin, Allamakee Co. In the spring of 1870 he came to Postville, where he still resides following his profession, his practice being principally in this and three adjoining counties. He married Miss Helen Farrand, January 2, 1859; they have four children: Loren M., who is now attending the law department of the State University at Iowa City; Velma C., Grace H. and La Rue R. Mr. P. has served as mayor of Postville; also as W. M. of the Masonic Lodge eight years, is a member of the A.O.U.W., I.O.O.F. and the Methodist Episcopal Church. pg 523

Azel Pratt (deceased), carpenter and builder; was born at Hebron, Maine, in 1810. Came to this Co. in 1850 and opened a farm on Makee Ridge, where he built a little log cabin, a portion of which was occupied by his brother; Lemuel, from which to retail the first small lot of store goods ever brought to Makee township In 1856 he removed to Waukon where he continued to reside until his death, Feb. 19, 1881. He became a member of the Baptist church at nineteen years of age; was one of the leaders in organizing a church at Waukon, and lived an active life in the faith. "Deacon Pratt" was one of the influential citizens, and a tireless worker, early and late. He was a charter member and first treasurer of the "Old Settlers' Association," organized in 1879. Mr. Pratt married Mary Hersey in 1833. She was born in 1814 and died in 1881, preceding her husband to the grave by only thirteen days, and was a most exemplary Christian woman. They had seven children, Noah H., Marcellus H., Willie, Richmond G., Emory W., Ella I., and James L. All of whom are living, except Willie, who died young. pg 520

James L. Pratt is a native of Makee township, where he was born in 1856, near Waukon, which town has ever since been his home. He learned the carpenter's trade with his father, Azel Pratt. In 1873 he learned the printing trade at Postville, which he has followed most of the time since. Was foreman of the Waukon Democrat office for nearly three years, until May, 1882. Has been superintendent of the Baptist Sunday School, since July 1880. Mr. Pratt was married March 31, 1880, to Miss Edith F. Wedgwood, daughter of Rev. J. M. Wedgwood, of Rossville, and has one child, Ada Mary. pg 521

N. H. Pratt, carpenter, a pioneer of 1850, was born in Md. in 1834. In 1850 with his parents, Azel and Mary Pratt, four brothers and one sister, he came to Allamakee Co., and settled on sec. 18, Makee township In 1854 he spent about six months at St. Anthony's Falls; then returned to Makee and continued farming until 1860. He then went to Ill., and in 1862 enlisted in Co. I, 95th Ill. Inf. Vol., and served until the close of the war, when he was mustered out as 2d Lieut of the 48th U. S. colored troops; since which time he has been at Waukon. From 1871 to 1878 he was engaged in the furniture business. He was married in Oct. 1856 to Miss Abbie F. Brayton. The children are Estella and Katie. Mr. Pratt is a member of the A.F. & A.M., I.O.O.F. and A.O.U.W. pg 525

A. R. Prescott, P.M. Postville; born in Maine in 1834, his parents immigrated to Winnebago Co., Ill, in 1846, and in the spring of 1852, he came to Allamakee Co., Iowa, his parents following in the fall. He engaged as clerk in a general store at McGregor in 1853; in 1854 in a surveying expedition in Minn., and in 1855 went to Floyd Co., Iowa, where he was elected County Surveyor in 1856. He followed teaching and surveying till in 1861, when he enlisted in Co. I of an engineer regiment of Missouri Volunteers; was conductor of the gun car train on the Memphis and Charleston and Mobile and Ohio Railroads eighteen months; was mustered out in 1864 as 2d Lieut. returned to Allamakee Co., and farmed for two years; then came to Postville and engaged in the hardware business; sold out in 1879; was appointed postmaster 1877; has served as County Surveyor one term, and as deputy twelve years; was also a candidate for representative in 1873; married Lydia A. Easton, of N. Y., Nov. 1, 1865; they have three children, Mael, Sarah H. and Alba R.; have lost one daughter, Theodosia. pg 524


Biography index