IAGenWeb Project - Allamakee co.

1882 Biographies
from the
History of Winneshiek and Allamakee Counties, Iowa
by W.E. Alexander; Western Publishing co.; Sioux City, Iowa; 1882

'L' surnames

All of the biographies in the Allamakee co. section of the book were transcribed by Roxanne Barth and Phyllis Peterson.
Some of the biographies, those with close ties to Allamakee co., but from the Winneshiek co. section of the book, have been transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall.

J. H. Lamont, blacksmith, was born at Canton, N.Y., in Aug. 1834. At the age of 17 he commenced work at his trade, and in 1863 came west and located at Waukon. He was married in the spring of 1856 at Richford, Vt., to Miss Martha E. Hathaway, and they now have two sons, Charles. A. and Henry A.
pg 509

Hon. Andrew Landy, P.O. Lansing, farmer, born in Switzerland in 1829. He was educated in his native country; attending two different colleges, one being an agricultural one. In 1849 he came to America and settled in this county, where he has since resided, locating on his present farm in 1850. In 1871 he was chosen by the people to represent his county in the State Legislature, which position he held one term. In 1852 he married Elizabeth Hirth, and they have ten children--five sons and five daughters. pg 508

J. R. Laughlin, farmer, P.O. Postville, son of John and Jane Laughlin, who were born in Scotland and emigrated to the U. S. in 1835, locating first near Schenectady, N. Y., remaining there till in l839, when they came to St. Joseph Co., Mich., where they lived till in 1842, they again moved to Wells Co., Ind., and in 1849 came to Allamakee county, Iowa, they being among the first settlers in Post township Mr. John Laughlin was among the leading and prominent men of the county, serving as Sheriff, also as Justice of the Peace in his township several years. He was also one of the proprietors of the first platting of the town of Waukon. He died in September 1862. The children living are John H. Elizabeth, Robert, Mary J., Ella and James R., the latter the subject of this sketch, who was born in this county in 1852. He now carries on the home farm, consisting of 144 acres. He was married to Miss Jane Harris, daughter of Elisha Harris, in 1872. Mr. Laughlin is a member of the U. B. church. pg 511

Jeremiah Leas, Linton Township, was born in Harrison Co., Ohio, in 1831, and was raised a farmer. In 1856 he came to Iowa and settled on his present farm of 320 acres, which is one of the best in his township He married Susanna Henderson, of Ohio, by whom he has nine children. pg 512

C. A. Leithold, sheriff, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1850; came to America in 1856 with his parents, and settled in Clayton Co., Iowa. In 1872 he removed to Postville and engaged in merchandising until 1878, when he changed to that of agricultural implements. In 1881 he was elected to his present office. pg 512

Frank Leithold, farmer, sec. 3, P.O. Waukon; born in 1832 in Switzerland and emigrated to the U. S. in 1855, locating on 40 acres of his present farm, which by his economy and industry he has added to till he now has 200 acres with first-class improvements. He married Miss Anna Vile in 1860. She was born in England. They have six children, Catharine, Julia, Henry, Margaret, Albert and George, and have lost one infant. pg 511-512

Matthew Leithold, dealer in clothing, hats, caps, boots, shoes, and gents' furnishing goods, also millinery, which latter is superintended by his wife. He was born in 1846, in Bavaria, Germany. His parents emigrated to the U. S. in 1856, locating in Clayton Co., Io. He commenced clerking for Messrs. Petersen & Larson of McGregor in 1865, and in 1871 commenced general merchandising in Postville, under the firm name of Leithold Bros., and his present business in 1881. He married Elizabeth Osterdock in 1870. She was born in Clayton Co., Iowa, in 1852. They have five children, Lucy, Edward, Rialdo, Lillie and Florence, and lost one son in infancy. Mr. Leithold is a member of the A.F. & A.M., and A.O.U.W., also the Lutheran church. pg 510

Henry Lenz, P.O. Lansing, farmer; son of Fred and Barbara Lenz, was born on his father's farm, where he still resides, Aug. 22, 1855. His parents came from Germany to this country in 1850, and located upon this farm, which contains 120 acres well improved. His father also owns a farm of 160 acres, southwest of this a couple of miles. The subject of this sketch was educated in the common schools and at Grinnell College. He was married to Miss Mary Gramelich, March 28, 1876. She was also born in this county. They have three children, Emma, Willie and Nettie. Mr. Lenz carries on his father's farm and is a member of the M.E. Church. pg 511

J. M. Lisher, proprietor of the Commercial House and livery stable, Postville, was born in Ind., in 1844; his parents moved to McHenry Co., Ills., in 1846, and in 1854 to Allamakee Co., Io., locating ten miles north of Waukon. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. B., 2d Battalion, 16th U. S. Infantry., and participated in the battles of Stone River, Prairieville and Chickamauga, at which latter he was captured Sept. 19th, 1863. He was first taken to Libby prison, and in Dec. following to Danville, and to Andersonville in April 1864, weighing when received at the prison 184 lbs, and at the expiration of eleven months, when taken from there, only 90 lbs., which is a sufficient explanation of the treatment received. He was taken to Black River, near Vicksburg and paroled. Sent to Louis, thence to Cawego, New York, and discharged, his discharge bearing the date April 14, 1865. The following fall he returned to Iowa, and in 1874 engaged in the hotel business at Lansing, running the livery business in connection. He was burned out in 1876, and in March, 1879, came to Postville and took charge of the Burlington House, and in Sept., 1881, took charge of the Commercial house. He was married to Miss Mary Adams, a native of Indiana, in 1868. They have two children, Floyd C. and Myrtle M. Mr. Lisher is a member of the A.F. & A.M., I.O.O.F. and A.O.U.W. pg 509-510

Hosa Low, hardware merchant, is found among the early settlers as well as prominent businessmen of Waukon. He is a native of Vt., born in 1829. In 1836 the family came west, first stopping at Chicago, then removing to Wis., from which State Mr. Low came to Allamakee Co., settling at Waukon in 1858. Here he at once engaged in the hardware business, being a member of the firm of Low & Bean, and has pursued mercantile life in the hardware line most of the time since. Mr. Low, in 1859, was united in marriage to Miss Laura A. Stilman, of N.Y., and now has two sons and two daughters, Frank, Mary, Fred, Josie. pg 509

Simon Ludeking, P.O. Waukon; farmer, sec. 29; son of Simon and Charlotte Ludeking, was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1826, where he remained till the spring of 1854, when he emigrated to the U. S., stopping in Sheboygan Co., Wis., and in the spring of 1855 came to Iowa and located 80 acres of his present farm and commenced making improvements upon the same. The following winter he went to Lincoln Co., Mo., where he engaged in chopping cordwood for steamboats and the St. Louis market, continuing to work on his farm summers and in Missouri winters, till in 1858 he married Miss Mary Geesmeyer of Mo. She was also born in Germany. He then came on to his farm, which by his industry and economy he has added to till he now has 280 acres well improved and among the best farms in the township He has a family of eight children, whose names are as follows; Louisa, Mene, Ulrich, Samuel, Henry, Gustaf, George and Thomas, and has lost one daughter, Lydia. Mr. L. is a member of the German Presbyterian Church. pg 509

H. S. Luhman, of the firm of Luhman and Sanders, dealers in general merchandise, corner Tilden and Lawber streets, was born in 1853, in Sheboygan Co., Wis. He came to Postville in 1873 and engaged as clerk for Roberts Brothers in a general store, and afterwards for Skelton & Co., and in 1878 went to Bonnair, in Howard Co., and engaged in general merchandise till in the fall of 1881, when he came to Postville and engaged in the present firm. He married Miss Sarah Sanders, of Clayton Co., in 1880. Mr. Luhman is a member of the I.O.O.F., and of the M. E. church. pg 510

Rev. D. W. Lyons, farmer and retired pastor of the Presbyterian church, owns about 800 acres of land, valued at $32,000; was born in Harrison Co., Ohio, in 1823; received his education at Franklin College, New Athens, 0., and the Western Theological College at Allegheny City, Pa., after which he served as pastor of the Presbyterian Church for many years, until compelled by ill-health to abandon the ministry; came to Allamakee Co., Iowa, in 1850, locating near Postville. He organized a Presbyterian church at Postville in 1852, preaching the first sermon at the house of Mrs. Zeruiah Post. In 1856 he removed to Kansas City, Mo., serving as pastor of the Presbyterian Church there one year when, on account of ill health, he commenced traveling through southern Mo. and Arkansas till in 1860, when he returned to Postville and engaged in real estate and general merchandising. In 1870 he removed to Mason City, where he engaged in the same business in company with his son, William W. Lyons. In 1875 he removed to Des Moines and his son to Brooklyn, Io., where he engaged in the banking business, and subsequently opened a bank in Colfax. In 1880 Mr. Lyons returned to Postville. He was married to Sarah A. Wallace, of Ohio, 1840. She died in 1875 at Mason City. He was again married to Mrs. Elizabeth Marquis, a widow of the Rev. Robert Marquis, in 1880. Mr. Lyons has seven children by his first marriage, William W, Mary A., Sophia J., Sarah E., Susan M., Carrie B. and Effie M., and lost one son, Daniel M. By his second marriage he has one son, Charles R. pg 510-511

Gilbert C. Lyse, P.O. Dalby, farmer, sec. 3; owns 260 acres of land valued at $25.00 per acre. He was born May 4, 1826, in Norway. In 1854 he emigrated to the U. S., coming via New Orleans and up the Mississippi River to Columbus in Allamakee Co., Iowa, in July of that year. In 1856 he purchased land on sec. 15 of this township, which he subsequently sold and came on to his present farm in 1858. He married Miss Caroline Engbretson in 1854. She died in 1870. He was again married to Mary Halverson in 1875; had one son by his first marriage--Christ, who is now engaged in the mercantile business at Brookings, D. T. The children by his second marriage are Caroline M., and Carl E. He is a member of the Lutheran Church. pg 509


Biography index