1882 Biographies
from the
History of Winneshiek and Allamakee Counties, Iowa
by W.E. Alexander; Western Publishing co.; Sioux City, Iowa; 1882

'A' surnames

All of the biographies in the Allamakee co. section of the book were transcribed by Roxanne Barth and Phyllis Peterson.
Some of the biographies, those with close ties to Allamakee co., but from the Winneshiek co. section of the book, have been transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall.

Asa W. Adams, oldest resident photographer in Winneshiek Co. The subject of this sketch was born in Ohio in 1842. He was left motherless when but a small boy, and in 1853 he came with his father to Io., and lived with him in Allamakeee Co., until he was 21 years of age. He then learned the art of photography at McGregor, and in 1865 located in Decorah, and has since been the leading photographer. In 1866 he married Miss Emma J. Fuller; they have three children, Leila A., Jennie and Willie. pg. 548, Winneshiek co. biographies

Dudley W. Adams, horticulturist, was born in Winchendon, Mass., November 30, 1831. His father was a lumberman and lost his life from an accident in the woods when the son was but four years old. His mother gave him a careful home training and an ordinary district schooling, with the addition of an academic course before maturity, which he assisted to secure by intervals of teaching. With the attainment of his majority came the development of a malady all too common in that region, and a severe cough admonished him to leave his native state and the dangers of its climate. Accordingly, one day in September, 1853, he might have been seen (had there been any in the country as witnesses) "hoofing it" from the port of Lansing eighteen miles to the capitol of Allamakee County in company with L. T. Woodcock. Reaching the upland near Adams' present residence, the pilgrims ran across Scott Shattuck and Tom Minard cutting a road through the hazel-brush, and upon inquiring the way to Waukon they were directed to cast their eyes to the westward where two log huts were in sight and informed that these constituted the object of their pilgrimage. One of these huts was the pioneer residence of Geo. Shattuck, and the other the "seat of justice" of Allamakee County. As might have been expected of young men in their circumstances they were somewhat taken aback, and doubtless showed it; but going bravely to work they at once began preparations for the erection of a frame store and dwelling, which is now the National House on Main street. The lumber was all oak and was hauled from Smith's mill on Yellow River, where it was sawed out by Austin Smith. A stock of goods was opened in this building the same fall. The first sale of merchandise in Waukon, was by Mr. Adams, a pair of boots to Ezra Reed, Jr., from the stock while it lay in Scott Shattuck's new frame hotel (now George Mauch's residence) awaiting the completion of the store. He also took out the first letter form the first mail received at Waukon, it being one he himself had written while east after the goods, addressed to his partner, Mr. Woodcock. Meanwhile Mr. Adams had taken up 200 acres of government land, of which he still owns 120, forty acres of which are now occupied with orchards in bearing. From 1853 the growth of the community was rapid, and Mr. Adams found many ways in which to occupy his time to advantage, and proved himself a most valuable acquisition to the pioneer settlement. His services as surveyor were sought far and wide, and two years later he was made assessor, continuing to serve as much by successive re-election for about ten years. In 1854 he was also chosen as President of the County Agricultural Society, organized in 1853, and nearly all the time from that day to this has been connected with the society in one capacity or another. In the fall of 1854 also, in company with Ed. Whitney, he began the erection of the first and only steam saw mill here, which was completed the following spring and continued in successful operation for many years. It was burned down in '56 or '57, after which he disposed of his interest therein, although the mill was re-built.

In 1856 Mr. Adams entered upon the work of horticulture, in which he always found great pleasure, and in after years the "Iron Clad Nursery" of Waukon became famous for its success where others failed. There were ten or fifteen other nurseries started in Allamakee County at about this time, not one of which proved profitable, and all were abandoned amid the almost universal opinion that fruit could not be grown in northern Iowa. During the 20 years that he continued in this business, however, Mr. Adams established the fact beyond a doubt that it can be very successful, with judicious selection and proper management, and points with just pride to his achievements in this direction under the adverse circumstances of climate and public opinion. For instance, in 1871, at an exhibition of the State Horticultural Society (of which, by the way, he was for five years the Secretary), he took the sweepstake prize, with one hundred varieties, for the best and largest display of apples. Again, at the State Fair in 1879, he took the sweepstakes with 172 varieties of apples. About 1858, Mr. Adams was chosen chairman of the County Board of Equalization. Again, in '65 or '66, he accepted an appointment to a place on the Board of County Supervisors, to fill a vacancy, not without reluctance, however, as at that time there was the thankless task to undertake of building up the county finances, which were in a very bad way, county warrants at that time selling at only 45 per cent. The board was evenly divided politically, and to complicate matters and add to the responsibility of the situation it was also divided and equally on the then strongly local feeling between Lansing and Waukon on the county seat question. Upon the expiration of his short term Mr. Adams was elected to represent his township as a member, two years later, was again selected as chairman, without a dissenting vote. It is but justice to add that during these times he represented the interests of his constituents in local matters most successfully; and it was not long ere careful management and economy restored the full credit of the county, which has ever since been maintained. In 1869 the first brick block in Waukon was erected, Mr. Adams being a part owner in this, as in the first frame store in the village. Together with his neighbors, in 1869, Mr. Adams effected the organization of Waukon Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, the third in the state. He discharged the duties of Master, Overseer, Lecturer, and Secretary of this organization in 1872, he was elected Master of that for a term of two years, in the middle of which he was made Master of the State Grange, then comprising over one thousand members representing eight hundred subordinate granges which he had organized, a fact which serves to illustrate the energy and zeal of the man who was called upon to preside over the national body. At that time there were but about 1,200 subordinate granges in the United States, but at the expiration of his term of three years there were nearly 23,000 granges spread over nearly all the States and Territories. His industry and tact are still further exemplified in his persistent advocacy of the establishment of rail communication with the outside world for Waukon, by the Paint Creek route; his active participation in the organization of the company; and, upon his election as its president in 1875, his energetic propulsion of the work to a successful realization of the hopes of the community during the twenty years preceding. Of late years Mr. Adams has passed his winters in a home he has established in sunny Florida, where he made his first purchase of land in 1875. In January 1876, he re-engaged in his favorite occupation of horticulture in his winter home by setting out a small grove of orange trees. Now he is the fortunate possessor of about a thousand acres in that state, of which 37 acres are in orange grove. Mr. Adams was married Jan. 31, 1856, to Miss Hannah Huestis, who has been able to co-labor in his horticultural avocations, and an associate in his honors, having occupied the position of Ceres in the National and State Granges, as well as various offices in the gift of her home subordinate grange. p. 467-469, portrait pg 391

R. J. Alexander was born in Linn Co., Iowa in 1852. Subsequently the family removed to Cedar Co. He was educated at Cornell College, and in 1876 commenced mercantile life as clerk, and continued as such until 1879, when he formed the partnership with Mr. Armstrong. pg. 465

Charles Amann, proprietor Germania House, was born in Germany in 1849, and came to America in 1872, and settled in Troy, N.Y. In 1875 he came to Lansing and engaged in brewing until 1882, when he engaged in his present business. He married Carrie Christ, also a native of Germany; they have three children, Ernest, Eugene and Lena. pg. 467

Andrew E. Ammundson, P.O. Elon; farmer, sec. 4; son of Erick and Cornelia Ammundson; born in 1847 in Norway. His parents emigrated to the U.S. in 1851, locating in Rock Co., Wis. In the fall of 1853 they came to this county, locating in Center Township, where they still reside. Mr. Ammundson was married to Miss Agnes Schaugor in 1873. She was born in Lafayette County, Wis.; they have two children, Gundy Maud and Anna A. Mr. Ammundson has served his township as secretary of school board, sub-director, etc. He is a member of the Lutheran church. pg. 466

N. J. Amquest, son of P. J. and Cecelia Amquest, was born in 1859, received a good common school education, and in 1878 commenced mercantile life as a clerk for C. D. Buman, whom he served until December 1881, subsequently clerked for L. Clark. pg. 465

P. J. Amquest (deceased) was a native of Stockholm, Sweden, who emigrated to the U.S. in 1856, and settled in Makee township, Allamakee County, where he worked at the tailor trade up to the time of his death, which took place in December, 1863. He left a wife and four children. pg. 465

A. T. Anderson, P.O. Dalby; farmer, sec. 2; son of Thomas and Ambjor Anderson, was born in this Co. in 1851, was reared on his father's farm with the exception of the time he attended school and was engaged in teaching. He was some three years in attendance at the Lutheran College, Decorah. He married Miss Oline Smeby in June 1877. She was also born in this county. They have two children, Olaf and Theodore. Mr. Anderson owns a farm of 158 1/2 acres, valued at $35 per acre. He is the present township clerk, which office he has filled seven years, and is a member of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran church. pg. 466

Andrew Anderson, P.O. Elon; farmer, sec. 33; son of Andrew and Christine Anderson; born in 1824 in Sweden, emigrated to the U.S. in 1853, locating in Rock Island County, Illinois, till the fall of 1854, when he came to Allamakee County, Iowa, locating on the farm he still owns, now containing 176 acres, well improved and worth $4,000. He married Miss Sophia Palmgren in 1859, she was also a native of Sweden. They have four children, John A., Peter A., Mary S. and Samuel C. He is a member of the Baptist Church. pg 465

Ole G. Anderson, P.O. Elon; farmer, sec. 29, brother of Andrew Anderson, born in Sweden, July 12, 1832. His mother died when he was but a boy, and in 1854 himself and father came to America and located in this township, where his father died in 1872. During the late rebellion he enlisted in Co. B, 27th Iowa Inf. in March 1864, the company being immediately taken to the front, where they participated in the battle of Nashville, Tenn., and Fort Blakely, Ala., they being about the closing up of the war. In the fall of 1865 he was transferred to the 12th Infantry, Co. B, and discharged in January 1866, at Davenport. He married Miss Betsy Eastman, August 10, 1867; they have but one son, David, having lost six children, five of whom died in the spring of 1882, from diphtheria, August I., Clara E., Amy E., Effie G., Bertie M., Huldah having died previously. Mr. Anderson owns a farm of 182 acres, worth $25 per acre. He is a member of the Baptist Church. pg 465-466

Thomas Anderson, P.O. Dalby; farmer sec 12; owns 440 acres of land, valued at $25 per acre. He was born Dec. 15, 1820, in Norway. In early life he learned the tailor's trade, at which he worked mostly till he came to the U.S., which was in the spring of 1846, locating in Rock Co., Wis., where he was married in May, 1850, to Miss Emily Christianson, and the same year came to Allamakee Co., Iowa, locating on a part of his present farm, he being one of the earliest settlers of the township His children are Andrew T., Knudt, Lena and Mary. He has lost three, Christian, Betsey and Sarah. Mr. A. has served as trustee of his township several terms, and is a member of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran church. pg 466

Charles Arklay, P.O. Waukon; farmer, sec. 34; owns 120 acres of land, valued at $40 per acre. He was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1815; learned the carpenter and joiner's trade in early life, which business he followed for many years. He was married to Miss Emily Murray, in 1841, and in 1851 they emigrated to the U.S., stopping in New York City till 1859, when he came to this county and purchased the farm upon which he still resides. His children are William, Emily and Margaret. Mr. Arklay is a member of the Presbyterian Church. pg 466-467

Levi Armstrong was born in Kentucky, January 1849. In 1864 the family removed to Linn Co., Iowa, where the subject of this sketch received a good education at Cornell College. He commenced mercantile life by clerking, which he followed until March 1879, when he engaged in his present business. He was married in April 1875, to Anna McLaury, and now has two children, Nettie and Edwin. pg 465


Biography index