Adams County, Iowa

Lincoln
Section 15, Lincoln Township


1984 Adams County History Book

Lincoln Center Methodist Church, near the center of Lincoln Twp., was organized in 1870 by Rev. Wm. T. Smith. The church was organized in a school house that stood in what is now Lincoln Center cemetery. In 1878 a new school house was built one half mile east of the cemetery, on a lot where the Lincoln Center school house now stands. Church and Sunday School were held there until the present church building was erected, in the fall of 1890.

In the 1890's S.F. Davis built a general store one fourth mile north of Lincoln Center. A Post Office was put in the store and the community was named Hayes. In the second story of the store the lodges of the Woodman of the World and Modern Woodman held regular meetings for years.

The groceries and mail was brought from the town of Cumberland by a Star Route mail service to both Briscoe and Hayes. Mr. Charles Seaman was the mail carrier. Mrs. Davis operated a telephone switchboard with several party lines from a house just north of the store. Just north of the Davis house Charles Sullivan put up a blacksmith shop. North of Lincoln Center one half mile, Henry Fleharty operated a cheese factory.

Return to Adams County Home

Page updated on May 15, 2026 by Karyn Techau

Copyright© IAGenWeb 2026 The submitters & IAGenWeb
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~ all of which applies to the complete Adams County IAGenWeb website. ~