Richland Township Education
"School district No. 1 embraces sections 1, 2, 11 and 12. The school-house of this district is located on the northeast corner of section 11.
School district No. 2 embraces sections 3, 4, 9 and 10, and has a school-house on the northwest corner of section 10. William Clayton serves in the capacity of present director, and Lilly Moyer taught the last term of school during the summer of 1884. The size of the school- house is 18x24, and was erected in 1873. Hulda Doran taught the first term during the winter of 1872-73. Henry Dart was the first director of this district.
School district No. 3, consisting of sections 5, 6, 7 and 8, has a school-house upon the northwest corner of section 8. This was originally the first school district in the township, the building being constructed at a cost of four hundred dollars in 1858, and was 20x24 in size. To Sarah Jewett belongs the honor of being the first teacher. Thomas H. McClure being the first director.
School district No. 4, embracing the territory of sections 17, 18, 19 and 20, has a school-house, 18x30, situated on the southwest corner of section 17. It was erected in 1876, at a cost of $660. Eliza Arnold was the first teacher in this district, and J. A. Clayton was the first director. The last term of school, during the summer of 1884, was taught by Lou Ford. John Myers is the present director.
School district No. 5, includiug sections 15, 16, 21 and 22, has a school building on the northwest corner of section 22. The present teacher of this school is Nellie Ray. Daniel Poland acts as director. The first school-house in this district was built in 1868, and was 20x26 in size. In the summer of 1882 a new building, 26x36, was erected, at a cost of $995.
School district No. 6, consisting of the territory of sections 13, 14, 23 and 24, has a school-house erected on the southwest corner of section 13.
School district No. 7, embracing sections 25, 26, 35 and 36, has a school-house situated on the northwest corner of section 36.
School district No. 8, comprising sections 27, 28, 33 and 34, has a school-house on the northwest corner of section 34. It was erected at a cost of $600, in 1870, and in size is 18x20. Theresa Greene has the credit of being the first teacher, in the summer of 1871. The first director of this district was S. B. Hyzer, while Philip Schreck is the present director.
School district No. 9 embraces sections 29, 30, 31 and 32. The school-house was erected on the northwest corner of section 32, during the summer of 1876. It is 18x36 in size, and cost $600. The pioneer teacher of this district was Lue McClure, and the last term was taught by Matilda Myers. The first director was John D. Davis. Hugh Evans serves the district in that official position at present."
taken from "History of Guthrie and Adair County, Iowa" 1884
Please feel free to contribute information or photos to the website.
Click here to e-mail your information to me .