Adair County Iowa
The first school in the township was taught in the cabin of Reuben Dillow, in the summer of 1863, by Kate Sawyer, of Nevinville. She also taught a school in 1864 at the same place, but in 1865 it was taught by a Miss Dillow, a niece of Mr. Dillow's.
School District No. 1 embraces all of sections 1, 2, 11 and 12, and the north quarter of sections 13 and 14. The house was built in the summer of 1875, at a cost of $550, and is 18x24 in size. Ella Thatcher was the first teacher, and Ella Wood taught the summer term of 1884.
School District No. 2, which includes sections 3, 4, 9 and 10, had a building erected during the summer of 1883, although the district was organized the previous year. The size of the school was18x28, and cost $545. Lettie Hamilton was employed to teach the first term, and Anna Landon is the present teacher.
School District No. 3 embracing sections 5, 6, 7 and 8, has a school-house upon the southeast corner of section 6, erected in 1872 at a cost of about $500,and in size is 18x24. W. E. Caton was the pioneer teacher in this school house, while a Miss McCullough is the present teacher,
School District No. 4 contains section.17, 18, 19 and 20. Stanley Milner erected a school-house upon the northeast corner of section 19, in the summer of 1870. It is 18x24 in size, and cost about $500.
School District No. 5 embraces sections 39, 30, 31 and 32, and has a school-house on the southeast corner of section 30, erected at a cost of $550, in the summer of 1877, by J. C. Hoffstatter. The first teacher in this district was Sylva Hoffstatter, and Laura Thatcher taught the summer term of 1884.
School District No.6, including sections 27, 28, 33 and 34, has its place of instruction on the northwest corner of section 34. The building was erected at a cost of five hundred and fifty dollars, in the summer of 1879, by J. C. Hoffstatter. Callie Yeck has the honor of being both the first and present teacher of this school.
School District No.7, which embraces sections 25, 26, 35 and 36, has its building located on the northwest corner of section 36. It was built during the summer of 1878, by J. C. Hoffstatter, at a cost of five hundred and fifty dollars, being 18x24 feet in size. James McCandless was employed as the first teacher in this school, while Lillie Stubbs is the present teacher.
School District No. 8 includes all of sections 23 and 24, and the southern three fourths of sections 13 and 14. During the summer of 1880 a school-house was erected on the southeast corner of section 14, at a cost of about five hundred and fifty dollars. J. C. Hoffstatter had the building contract, which called for a house 18x24. In the fall of 1880 a Miss Snodgrass taught the first term of school. Jennie Streams is the present teacher.
School District No. 9 has for its territory sections 15, 16, 21 and 22, which also includes the town of Orient. It is expected this district will some day be an independent one, and it is for this reason that the township is districted in its present manner. The original school-house of this district was burned in March, 1872, whereupon a new building was erected in the summer of 1873, 24x36 in dimensions, by John Taylor. In the summer of 1883 an addition, 24x24, was added, making it the largest building in the township used for school purposes. To Sylva (possibly spelled Sylvia) Hoffstatter is due the credit for being the first teacher in this new structure.
taken from "History of Guthrie and Adair County, Iowa" 1884
Please feel free to contribute information or photos to the website.